Advice on a Low Profile Office PC

cjc1984

Bronze Level Poster
Just need a bit of advice regarding a low profile office PC. Once Windows 8 is released looking for a new office PC that will be used for some very light computing, web browsing, youtube ect. I basically want one as small as possible, low power as possible and as silent as possible. It basically just needs to run the following three programmes well.

- Microsoft Office (Mainly word, but working with very large documents, some over 100,000 words)
- Endnote X6
- NVivo 10

Most strenuous application of all these I think is NVivo 10, with recommended system requirements of 2.0ghz pentium 4 processor or above, 4GB RAM.

I was looking at two routes, either
1) Either Intel Atom/AMD Zacate with 120GB SSD and 8GB RAM, OR
2) Intel Core i5 3470T, 8GB RAM 120GB SSD

AMD Trinity would become a 3rd option if they manage to get it out in October too.

My question is would I get away with the intel atom or AMD Zacate to run the above software (and run it well without slowdown) or would it be worth paying the little bit more for the Core i5?

Last edited:

Yrubdarb

Bronze Level Poster
Low power Trinity looks good for an office machine but it's still difficult to buy. I would give it a miss this time round and choose your second option. You might find the Atom and Zagate a bit deficient.

cjc1984

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks PCS & Yrubdarb, confirmed what I was thinking.

Will probably end up going for the dual core i5 (35W), 8GB RAM and SSD unless the new AMD Trinity processors are priced competitively.

Slightly off topic though, how good is the AMD Zacate at handling 1080p video playback, or for potential use in a small HTPC setup?

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly off topic though, how good is the AMD Zacate at handling 1080p video playback, or for potential use in a small HTPC setup?

I have a silent mini PC in my living room based on this processor. I can confirm that Batman - The Dark Knight on Blu-ray full HD 1080P plays seamlessly :)

cjc1984

Bronze Level Poster
Having a good luck at pricing up a mini pc now the windows 8 ones are ready to preorder.

At the moment looking at a Core i3 config, but do you envisage having Mini PC's available to configure which use the new AMD FM2 chipset?