Advice on configuration before ordering

Is this a balanced configuration for 2k, 165hz gaming and productivity/rendering?

• Balanced.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs tweaking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You could keep the smaller gen4 SSD for your boot and applications drive and drop the second larger drive to gen3 to save some money. You could perhaps drop the x570 to the strix B550 in that scenario, as the x570 only comes into play if you want more than one gen 4 SSD or want to overclock cpu

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You could keep the smaller gen4 SSD for your boot and applications drive and drop the second larger drive to gen3 to save some money. You could perhaps drop the x570 to the strix B550 in that scenario, as the x570 only comes into play if you want more than one gen 4 SSD or want to overclock cpu
With Microsoft DirectStorage, I wouldn't recommend this as it will affect game performance. You want the fastest game drive possible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’d hold my breath on that one until games that make use of directstorage are actually released….
They already have been, not on windows itself yet, but on PlayStation, it's without question a game changer technology.

Initially we'll just see faster load times, but it won't be long before people start writing it in to the game sequences itself to merge cut scenes with real time gameplay, and pretty much seamless progression from map to map.

The example I always give is Ratchet & Clank on the PS5:

Don't think of now, think of 7 years down the line. If you're building a system with now in mind, you're not doing it right.

Of course there's the argument that you can easily upgrade the drive at a later time, but developers are all over DirectStorage, this has been a major push by devs since it was announced in 2016 on the PS5. They will be releasing updates sharpish with DirectStorage written in.

And remember, it's not just faster load times, but the fact the data is going directly to the GPU means that process is bypassing the CPU, so you get far more availability on the CPU as well.

It's a cool tech. And this the first version, it will develop rapidly.

The upcoming Witcher 3 update is apparently going to have DirectStorage enabled, it may be the first updated game to include it, supposed to be released sometime in the summer June / July ish:

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above really. I've been pushing this approach for a while now, where the budget allows. Always opting, at the very least, for a system capable of running a high end secondary drive.

I think all the recommended Intel boards have PCIe4 on the 2nd slot but I know it's going to be a shortcoming for the B550 vs the X570.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
As above really. I've been pushing this approach for a while now, where the budget allows. Always opting, at the very least, for a system capable of running a high end secondary drive.

I think all the recommended Intel boards have PCIe4 on the 2nd slot but I know it's going to be a shortcoming for the B550 vs the X570.
Absolutely, though do be aware that, though slower, PCIe3 SSDs will still work with Direct Storage, so all is not lost.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Absolutely, though do be aware that, though slower, PCIe3 SSDs will still work with Direct Storage, so all is not lost.
But you'll be losing almost half the speed.

For the cost save going pcie3 Vs 4, I don't believe it's worth the sacrifice in performance.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
But you'll be losing almost half the speed.

For the cost save going pcie3 Vs 4, I don't believe it's worth the sacrifice in performance.
Agreed (though these things never scale linearly). I was talking about people with existing systems (either B550 or intel <11th gen) not despairing! For a new system I entirely agree, unless budget makes it impossible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Agreed (though these things never scale linearly). I was talking about people with existing systems (either B550 or intel <11th gen) not despairing! For a new system I entirely agree, unless budget makes it impossible.
Oh yes, absolutely, apologies.

I think the only criteria is that the game drive needs to be NVME and minimum of 1Tb (initially at least, I'm sure the size requirement may change with later versions)

SeaBut

Thanks for all the advice. I will go for the better case and reinstate the gen 4 nvme. Also going with 2 X 16gb rather than 4 X 8gb for the memory.

Just a couple of final questions

Case only comes with 3 front intake fans.
Combined with the Aio, is that sufficient cooling for the case, or would I need to add more case fans?
Also should I go with windows 10 or 11 for the OS?

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks for all the advice. I will go for the better case and reinstate the gen 4 nvme. Also going with 2 X 16gb rather than 4 X 8gb for the memory.

Just a couple of final questions

Case only comes with 3 front intake fans.
Combined with the Aio, is that sufficient cooling for the case, or would I need to add more case fans?
Also should I go with windows 10 or 11 for the OS?

I wouldn't opt for extra fans personally, there's no need with the AIO in play.

For stability I would opt for Windows 10, it's a known. 11 might be fine for you but it's an unknown.

Jpogorman

Current system is from cyberpower. Living in Ireland and PCS most straightforward to import from after Brexit.
Hi @SeaBut, I’m considering buying and am curious if you got charged any import tax, duties, etc to Ireland? I’m in a similar situation and don’t want to be caught with any surprises. Thanks.