Advice on file/folder Incremental Back Up Software.

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

For those of you who play FS2020 you'll know that the "packages" folder that houses the Community and Official sub-folders, where dlc are stored can become very large.

I like to make back ups of these folders for restoring if I have to re-install the game. So much quicker than having to re-download the dlc.

I would like to make regular incremental back ups of these folders, i.e., when I make subsequent back ups after the initial one, only those files that have changed or are new are saved, saving time and space on my destination drive.

I have tried Acronis, which to be honest does exactly what I am after. However, the issue I have with Acronis is that the saved folders are so slow to open. I click on one folder and it takes a minute or so to open. Then that is repeated as I want to delve deeper into the saved folders.

Has anybody any advice on any software, free or paid for, that can, when I choose, scan the aforementioned folders in my game, and save only those that have changed, incrementally. I am looking to save the duplicated files onto an external HDD.

Thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

For those of you who play FS2020 you'll know that the "packages" folder that houses the Community and Official sub-folders, where dlc are stored can become very large.

I like to make back ups of these folders for restoring if I have to re-install the game. So much quicker than having to re-download the dlc.

I would like to make regular incremental back ups of these folders, i.e., when I make subsequent back ups after the initial one, only those files that have changed or are new are saved, saving time and space on my destination drive.

I have tried Acronis, which to be honest does exactly what I am after. However, the issue I have with Acronis is that the saved folders are so slow to open. I click on one folder and it takes a minute or so to open. Then that is repeated as I want to delve deeper into the saved folders.

Has anybody any advice on any software, free or paid for, that can, when I choose, scan the aforementioned folders in my game, and save only those that have changed, incrementally. I am looking to save the duplicated files onto an external HDD.

Thank you.
Windows has incremental backups built in in File History, skip to the second method in this article:

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Spyder

Many thanks for the advice.

I don't think Windows File History is what I am looking for. It doesn't seem to allow me to choose which folders I want backing up.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Spyder

Many thanks for the advice.

I don't think Windows File History is what I am looking for. It doesn't seem to allow me to choose which folders I want backing up.
Yeah, see what you mean, I just assumed it would give you choice over the source directory. Come on Microsoft, seems a really stupid thing to lock down.

Paragon do a community edition which is free, not used it myself, but maybe worth having a play with to see if it better suits your needs. I can't find any conclusive details on if it supports incremental or just full though, so would have to test it.

An Open Source option UrBackup which is generally very well regarded:

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
With the URBackup. There appear to be no options on where I want the back up saved. It appears to be internet/cloud based. I am wanting to back up from PC to external SSD.

I am looking at a program called SyncFolders. Did you originally put that link in your reply and then remove it? Or did I get it from somewhere else? 😆

Anyway, SyncFolders seems to do just what I want.

Many thanks.