Advice on new gaming pc

Jason K

ok, i have around £1500 budget and would like advice on the best components to get.

this is what i think:

Case
InWIN DRAGON RIDER BLACK GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.80GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® SABERTOOTH P67 (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR!
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO II A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor
IIYAMA E2271HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£139)
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,532.00 including VAT and delivery.

would really appreciate feedback, especially to do with the motherboard and the graphics card. is it better to go sli with maybe two gtx560 ti's or one gtx580?

thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
What are you planning on using the PC for? Gaming?

In general though I would always suggest one more powerful graphics card than SLIing/Crossfire-ing two lesser cards.

Jason K

What are you planning on using the PC for? Gaming?

In general though I would always suggest one more powerful graphics card than SLIing/Crossfire-ing two lesser cards.

thanks, and yes, says in the thread title advice for gaming pc :p lol

Rakk

The Awesome
thanks, and yes, says in the thread title advice for gaming pc :p lol

Doh! - Well, my claim is that I'm really supposed to be doing work, so may not have been paying attention to such things as titles :)

It looks pretty good to me, I presume you're set on getting it overclocked?
Though I would suggest getting the silver warranty for a fiver if only for peace of mind.
And if you're only going to be using one monitor you could get away with the 1.5GB GTX580 instead.

Teaz

Godlike
not really as both models are no different apart from the gb. the 1.5gb 580 will manage fine on large screens or monitors.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yes only 3 monitor setups will require 3GB or if you have one single screen with ultra high resolution, although that is quite rare

Jason K

ok thanks, so it makes NO difference at all on one screen, not even a small difference?

also does anyone have an advice regarding the motherboard i've chosen, is the one i chose ok? is it unnecessarily good, or is it not good enough (i want this build for high end gaming, and to last a good while without being outdated ridiculously quickly)

would appreciate help regarding the motherboard, thanks.

Last edited:

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
that is a very good setup, it should handle any game with ease

dude, if you are unsure about something, read benchmark results on the internet.

just type in all the graphics cards you like the look of and then see how well they do

Last edited:

Jason K

that is a very good setup, it should handle any setup with ease

dude, if you are unsure about something, read benchmark results on the internet.

just type in all the graphics cards you like the look of and then see how well they do

well, i understand the 580 is a good graphics card, my main area of confusion is will the 3g give me any higher FPS than the 1.5GB, and is my motherboard good for gaming (and the setup) and futureproof or is it unnecessarily high end (ish) or what, really my main area of concern is the motherboard and what the difference between a 3gb and 1.5gb 580 would be

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
well, i understand the 580 is a good graphics card, my main area of confusion is will the 3g give me any higher FPS than the 1.5GB, and is my motherboard good for gaming (and the setup) and futureproof or is it unnecessarily high end (ish) or what, really my main area of concern is the motherboard and what the difference between a 3gb and 1.5gb 580 would be

I'm sure it will do because it has double the memory meaning it can allocate twice the amount of memory in applications which means it should have memory left over.

think of it this way, if you have 1gb RAM and an application needs 900mb, your PC isn't going to have any memory for anything else, if a game only needs 1gb of graphical processing power but you have 3gb it may not perform faster than 2 gb as the memory will be wasted but you will have a lot of idle memory.

it's best to have memory left over, and even if it doesn't give you FPS increase when new games comes out you will already have a card that can cope with it so no need to upgrade!

unneccessarily futureproof, well, no because the whole point of buying a PC at that price is so that it doesn't get outdated.

it's best to buy a great PC now, one which is twice as powerful as what you need for anything, that way you know it will run anything with ease and you won't need to upgrade, it will save you money in the long run.

I would look up 1.5gb 580 benchmark then look up 3gb 380 benchmark

Rakk

The Awesome
well, i understand the 580 is a good graphics card, my main area of confusion is will the 3g give me any higher FPS than the 1.5GB,

Nope

I'm sure it will do because it has double the memory meaning it can allocate twice the amount of memory in applications which means it should have memory left over.

However unless you're gaming across multiple monitors there's no way you'll ever use close to 3GB of your GPU's RAM, so the 1.5GB version would be fine

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
Nope

However unless you're gaming across multiple monitors there's no way you'll ever use close to 3GB of your GPU's RAM, so the 1.5GB version would be fine

very true, i posted a new thread in the desktop section in light of doing some reading about this very subject.

no replies yet but it should work out to be one of the most useful threads on this site"!!!