Advice on Reformatting C Drive

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
View attachment 6483
ok as you've suggested I've opened up the files and it shows the hibernation file and pagefile, what do I do next? do I delete?
I also want to have some backup aswell, hibernation, surely shouldn't take THAT much memory? but its neither here or there cos I never use that option...

Hibernation essentially reserves roughly the amount of RAM you have and acts as a temporary storage for anything in RAM at the time of hibernation. When the computer is restarted, this temporary cache is reloaded into RAM and the PC returns to it's state pre-hibernation. With the way things have progressed and certainly with the introduction of SSD's and faster drives, hibernation is becoming less and less needed as boot times are so quick anyway. Personally I disabled it, it won't have any impact on the running of the PC (other than loosing hibernation of course).

The page file is more important when you have lower amounts of RAM and where the limit is neared frequently, then it'll use the page file as an overhead if you like. If you've got boat loads of RAM, then it's much safer to disable the pagefile without impacting performance. If you have space reservations, then there is the option to move the pagefile to another partition which might come in handy for you.

Good guide HERE

AfronovA

Hibernation essentially reserves roughly the amount of RAM you have and acts as a temporary storage for anything in RAM at the time of hibernation. When the computer is restarted, this temporary cache is reloaded into RAM and the PC returns to it's state pre-hibernation. With the way things have progressed and certainly with the introduction of SSD's and faster drives, hibernation is becoming less and less needed as boot times are so quick anyway. Personally I disabled it, it won't have any impact on the running of the PC (other than loosing hibernation of course).

The page file is more important when you have lower amounts of RAM and where the limit is neared frequently, then it'll use the page file as an overhead if you like. If you've got boat loads of RAM, then it's much safer to disable the pagefile without impacting performance. If you have space reservations, then there is the option to move the pagefile to another partition which might come in handy for you.

Good guide HERE
have to say, thats the ticket! thanks Spydertracks and Tom DWC for the advice.

I have now disabled hibernate and have now gt 22.5gb free on my C drive, which i feel its more than enough :)

Spuff

Expert
The hibernation file is the one that was taking up 10GB that I deleted. I never let my PC go to sleep so it was pointless for it to be there.
On my 120GB drive 10GB is a lot.

Last edited: