Alan Wake 2 coming

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yikes, do yourself a favour and turn off motion blur though it's mainly a hold over from the consoles using blur to hide unsmooth camera turning at lower frame rates. Although the low framerate you're getting it might actually help, at 60+FPS this will greatly improve the image though just an FYI. Same goes for Depth of field in other games when available

Just a couple wee things mate Volumetric lighting can have a big impact on frames so it's worth playing with the settings on that. Shadow Filtering can also massively impact performance depending on how it's used so it's worth playing with that setting both of those can gain you a big amount of frames especially when you have Scattered Density set to Ultra there will be a lot of objects to bounce light off and produce shadows for

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yikes, do yourself a favour and turn off motion blur though it's mainly a hold over from the consoles using blur to hide unsmooth camera turning at lower frame rates. Although the low framerate you're getting it might actually help, at 60+FPS this will greatly improve the image though just an FYI. Same goes for Depth of field in other games when available

Just a couple wee things mate Volumetric lighting can have a big impact on frames so it's worth playing with the settings on that. Shadow Filtering can also massively impact performance depending on how it's used so it's worth playing with that setting both of those can gain you a big amount of frames especially when you have Scattered Density set to Ultra there will be a lot of objects to bounce light off and produce shadows for
Cheers @Steveyg I'll have a play, normally i just leave things as they come out of the box 😂

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cheers @Steveyg I'll have a play, normally i just leave things as they come out of the box 😂
I get it mate most people don't tinker too much in the settings and just play the games but I'm weird and actually enjoy messing the settings first before getting stuck in. Trying to balance the best performance and the best quality image is some of the fun for me

I know the usual suspects for performance hits and changing some of these can give massive improvements to frame generation or the settings that you can bump right up to the highest setting but will barely affect frame generation like textures. Textures is more front loaded onto the VRAM so as long as you have plenty free you can max out the textures to get everything looking a clean as possible

Motion blue and depth of field have basically no impact on performance and are only used to essentially rub Vaseline over the things developers don't want you to look at but on PC we have access to higher level textures and smoother frames so these just end up making everything uglier and harder to make out

Film grain is one of those stylistic things, it'll have no impact on performance but some games suit and some games don't it's basically personal preference. Usually I turn it off for a cleaner imagine but it can suit the atmosphere in some games

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I get it mate most people don't tinker too much in the settings and just play the games but I'm weird and actually enjoy messing the settings first before getting stuck in. Trying to balance the best performance and the best quality image is some of the fun for me

I know the usual suspects for performance hits and changing some of these can give massive improvements to frame generation or the settings that you can bump right up to the highest setting but will barely affect frame generation like textures. Textures is more front loaded onto the VRAM so as long as you have plenty free you can max out the textures to get everything looking a clean as possible

Motion blue and depth of field have basically no impact on performance and are only used to essentially rub Vaseline over the things developers don't want you to look at but on PC we have access to higher level textures and smoother frames so these just end up making everything uglier and harder to make out

Film grain is one of those stylistic things, it'll have no impact on performance but some games suit and some games don't it's basically personal preference. Usually I turn it off for a cleaner imagine but it can suit the atmosphere in some games
Same as me...and will turn it to Ultra (which I know I will never use) and then turn each setting down once notch & try again.

Forza Motorsport (now deleted as it was a poor game) went from 40fps at the 'recommended' settings for my system, to 120FPS with no discernible difference in image quality once I'd tweaked it.

But some games (e.g. Starfield) confound you, as simply moving down through the different presets didn't offer huge gains...and it was a few driver/game updates before it got to a nice, stable FPS.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Same as me...and will turn it to Ultra (which I know I will never use) and then turn each setting down once notch & try again.

Forza Motorsport (now deleted as it was a poor game) went from 40fps at the 'recommended' settings for my system, to 120FPS with no discernible difference in image quality once I'd tweaked it.

But some games (e.g. Starfield) confound you, as simply moving down through the different presets didn't offer huge gains...and it was a few driver/game updates before it got to a nice, stable FPS.

dont know why but I actually like playing with settings, to me it seems satisfying watching the frame rate go up and down and seeing what the visual impact is of changing settings,

@Martinr36 hows alan wake so far, any good?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
has @ActuallyDenz got alan wake 2 yet?
Not yet, partly because Denz is a big scaredy-pants, and partly because I'm looking to get the next game in the Like a Dragon series (formerly Yakuza) which comes out in 2 weeks. It bridges the gap between Yakuza 6 and Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth which is out next year. Currently trying to finish off Yakuza 6 before the two weeks is up!