All games have stuttering or lag spikes

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Regarding system maintenance I have all drivers/games/bios/software you name it, it's up to date

However during games I suddenly have lag spikes or stuttering even though the settings for said games haven't changed.

Desktop/benchmarks run smooth. And temperatures are normal.

I can't put my finger on it any ideas would be great.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Did you by any chance upgrade to (particularly in-place upgrades seem to be affected) Windows 10 Creators Edition?

This is a known problem.

Fall Creators Edition is out today - might be worth checking that out as a fresh install.

Of course, I am assuming you have Windows 10 since you told us nothing useful about your setup...

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Did you by any chance upgrade to (particularly in-place upgrades seem to be affected) Windows 10 Creators Edition?

This is a known problem.

Fall Creators Edition is out today - might be worth checking that out as a fresh install.

Of course, I am assuming you have Windows 10 since you told us nothing useful about your setup...

Yes. Running Windows 10 (creators edition) currently. It would have helped if I had mentioned that.

It looks like a fresh install may be needed.

When you mention an in place upgrade I assume you mean just upgrading from standard Windows 10 to creators edition through Windows update?

Thanks for your reply aswell Tony.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Sorry should of posted above or do you mean the little preparation patch they released the other day because since I installed that issues have appeared. Thanks again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry should of posted above or do you mean the little preparation patch they released the other day because since I installed that issues have appeared. Thanks again.

They just released a major update, the Fall creators edition, today, it's worth updating, I've done the update on 3 computers and so far the only problem I have is with touchpad drivers on my laptop but that's really an issue with the touchpad manufacturer not keeping up with things.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
They just released a major update, the Fall creators edition, today, it's worth updating, I've done the update on 3 computers and so far the only problem I have is with touchpad drivers on my laptop but that's really an issue with the touchpad manufacturer not keeping up with things.

Thanks for that, I was hoping someone would try it first.... :)

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster

Three questions regarding a fresh install: -

1. Can I use the activation key that came with my system still?

2. What file system should your usb stick be running to use it as a boot drive as I recently changed mine for a BIOS flash?

3. And I'm right in thinking the Windows 10 download site makes the usb boot drive for you now and you don't need a third party program to make the boot drive?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Three questions regarding a fresh install: -

1. Can I use the activation key that came with my system still?

Yes, when asked for a product key on the install click Skip.

2. What file system should your usb stick be running to use it as a boot drive as I recently changed mine for a BIOS flash?

It doesn't matter, the Media Creation Tool will reformat it (it uses the FAT32 format).

3. And I'm right in thinking the Windows 10 download site makes the usb boot drive for you now and you don't need a third party program to make the boot drive?

Yes it does, just be sure there is nothing on the USB drive that you want....

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
1 - as long as it's either a Windows 10 key or or your BIOS is preloaded with it

2 / 3- If your use the MS provided tool you need no other software and it'll format it correctly.

I would make sure you also copy network (particularly wifi if that's how you connect) and chipset drivers to the usb key. Post install you can immediately install the chipset and everything else becomes easier.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Plus sound advice at the end regarding wireless driver and chipset.

Do you think I can leave all the software and games on the two other drives I have. I would of thought wiping the OS drive and having a fresh install plus drivers should solve the problem?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
You can but you'll still need to reinstall most if not all of them as they'll have written things to the registry and places like %APPDATA%

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If the games are Steam games (or games managed by other clients like Origin, Uplay, Battle.net) you probably won't need to fully reinstall them.

With Uplay and B.net there are options for "locate installed game" which let you navigate to any previously installed game files you have - the client then verifies the files, does any updating etc it needs to, after which you should be able to just carry on.

Steam is similar. When you reinstall Steam, create a library folder where your old steam game installs are at (or create a new library folder and move them into that). If you then tell steam to "install" a game you own, it will discover that you already have files for that game, verify them, and let you get on with it.

Origin requires a bit of trickery. You need to rename your old game install folder (e.g. "Battlefield 4", rename to "Battlefield 4 old"). Tell Origin to start downloading your game - it will make a new folder for the game and start the download. Close Origin, delete the new "Battlefield 4" folder, and rename the "Battlefield 4 Old" folder back to "Battlefield 4". Relaunch Origin and it will then figure out you already have game files there and after verifying them should be happy.

Would be simpler if origin just had a "locate game installation" option, really...

For any games you have via GOG, well, they're DRM-free anyway.

As Tony says though, other software may well need a reinstall.

WRT the Appdata folder, some games keep their saves squirrelled away there e.g. Total War titles, instead of in the Documents folder.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Just got around to reinstalling Windows. Where abouts can you locate your product key as there is no sign of the key within the welcome pack that I've kept. Many thanks.

Edit: sorry for wasting everyone's time. Apparently it activates automatically.

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Just got around to reinstalling Windows. Where abouts can you locate your product key as there is no sign of the key within the welcome pack that I've kept. Many thanks.

Edit: sorry for wasting everyone's time. Apparently it activates automatically.

You beat me to it with your own answer :)