AM5 Build - 6000Mhz RAM Not Selectable

petall

Good afternoon all,

Wanting to pull the trigger on a new AM5 build but the max RAM speed for AM5 seems to be 5600Mhz via the builder. For Intel builds it allows 6000Mhz which implies that this RAM is available.

So my question is, why is AM5 currently being limited to 5600Mhz RAM on the PC Builder? AMD themselves state that 6000Mhz memory is the sweet spot so this is what I would like to spec but I currently cant.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good afternoon all,

Wanting to pull the trigger on a new AM5 build but the max RAM speed for AM5 seems to be 5600Mhz via the builder. For Intel builds it allows 6000Mhz which implies that this RAM is available.

So my question is, why is AM5 currently being limited to 5600Mhz RAM on the PC Builder? AMD themselves state that 6000Mhz memory is the sweet spot so this is what I would like to spec but I currently cant.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
There was an emergency bios update to mitigate over voltage that was frying some X3D chips and motherboards which limited the VSOC voltage. This affected stability of RAM over 5600MHz using expo settings.

There is currently a new BETA BIOS that hugely improves this which is looking extremely promising, but board partners can take a little while to produce stable BIOS versions, and Asus do seem to be a bit behind everyone else.

For safety, and to ensure stable builds, PCS pulled 6000MHz RAM temporarily until the issue is resolved.

Also bear in mind AMD EXPO RAM and Intel XMP RAM are two separate things, so they're not cross compatible. If you had XMP RAM on an AMD AM5 board, you wouldn't be able to use EXPO settings, you'd have to use the Intel based XMP or manually overclock. And you couldn't run EXPO RAM on an Intel board (unless you were manually applying overclocks or running at native low speeds)

But yes, I would suggest buying the basic 8Gb config and then sourcing your own RAM DIMMS as 5600Mhz to 6000MHz does make an impact for Ryzen, I wouldn't settle for 5600MHz myself personally.

petall

There was an emergency bios update to mitigate over voltage that was frying some X3D chips and motherboards which limited the VSOC voltage. This affected stability of RAM over 5600MHz using expo settings.

There is currently a new BETA BIOS that hugely improves this which is looking extremely promising, but board partners can take a little while to produce stable BIOS versions, and Asus do seem to be a bit behind everyone else.

For safety, and to ensure stable builds, PCS pulled 6000MHz RAM temporarily until the issue is resolved.

Also bear in mind AMD EXPO RAM and Intel XMP RAM are two separate things, so they're not cross compatible. If you had XMP RAM on an AMD AM5 board, you wouldn't be able to use EXPO settings, you'd have to use the Intel based XMP or manually overclock. And you couldn't run EXPO RAM on an Intel board (unless you were manually applying overclocks or running at native low speeds)

But yes, I would suggest buying the basic 8Gb config and then sourcing your own RAM DIMMS as 5600Mhz to 6000MHz does make an impact for Ryzen, I wouldn't settle for 5600MHz myself personally.
ah, thats makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Like you say, maybe going for basic RAM and supplying my own would be the best idea.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wish I knew this before I ordered mine. Too late now I guess as it’s being delivered today

Not at all, you will be free to return the system within 14 days if you aren't happy. I would suggest that the 5600Mhz in your system is significantly better than the 4800Mhz you had initially been happy with though. It's quite the step up, I don't think you will notice but the stability of the system should be without question :)