AMD Driver Software Reinstall - Black Screen

BlakeP

Hi,

Just to premise this, I am useless with tech, hence why I had a prebuilt made.

I went to update my AMD drivers on the AMD software like I normally do every few weeks. However, when I tried to open it, it said that the software and the drivers were not compatible and the software needed a factory reset.

I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it. In the middle of the reinstall, the screen went black and I have not been able to get a picture on since.

I’m wondering what the logical steps to take are to fix the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blake

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's a well known issue with the AMD driver updater, if you google the general advice is not to install it, just install the driver.

BlakeP

It's a well known issue with the AMD driver updater, if you google the general advice is not to install it, just install the driver.
It came pre installed. And I’ve had no issues over the last year and half. I thought it was nice as it seemed simpler than manually installing with me being a novice with this stuff.

Any advice for getting everything back in working order? I have no Idea how to get away from the black screen now

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It came pre installed. And I’ve had no issues over the last year and half. I thought it was nice as it seemed simpler than manually installing with me being a novice with this stuff.

Any advice for getting everything back in working order? I have no Idea how to get away from the black screen now
You'd need to boot in safe mode and reinstall just the driver.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
For the future, drivers do not need regular updating in the same way that other software does. Drivers only ever need updating when you're having problems with the device or, when there is a feature/fix in the updated driver that you actually need.

Drivers run in kernel mode, which means that when a driver screws up you almost always get a BSOD. Old driver code, that is still doing the job you need it to do, has been executed hundreds of thousands of times and is thus almost certainly bug-free (that's good). A new or updated driver has not been executed for anywhere near as long and is thus not as well tested and is much more likely to contain bugs (that's bad).