AMD Gaming Build

Hi. Thanks for reading my post. I figured I'd join the community here and post my config and get some opinions on it. I've been out of the enthusiast PC market for a few years now due to work and travel, but I've decided to jump back in as I want to do some gaming. I realise some of my choices here are on the high end (64GB ram for example) but figured why not? Sound anyone still buy dedicated sound cards? Thoughts?

I'll be pairing this with an LG 34GN850-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. Gaming and some development activities will be performed on it.

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE SL600M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
8GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Agree with the above but I would definitely change the case. If you want quiet the Fractal Define 7 is what you want. It's significantly cooler than the SL600M and quiet too. If you want a proper cooling case, something like the H500 would be spot on, you could even go for the high end H500M for not a lot more money (not worth it IMO but it's a great case).

Hi Nursemorph and Scott, thanks for your replies. That makes a lot of sense, I am probably just egotistically attracted to have a lot of ram. :) My main concerned regarding a PC case is noise. Rattling, for example, drives me insane and I just can't stand a case that does that. Easy to fix with some rubber or even sponge but don't want to have to do that. The 500M is a pretty nice looking case.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks for your advice. I looked up the case online and some videos show the case has a tempered glass, is this optional with the case or an entirely different model?

It's not available on PCS with the glass panel. You could purchase it and send it in yourself though (direct from wherever you buy it, just let PCS know).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's interesting, might be worthwhile asking the question then. I know it can be bought with the panel in place though (possibly cheaper?).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Oops...should really read things properly...scrolling down the upgrade page it says that the glass upgrade is only suitable for clear sides and makes no mention of the Quiet version. I wonder if the Quiet part would be negated by having a glass side panel though?

The glass panel is going to be noisier than the standard panel, no doubt. I have the erm..... see through panel (not sure if it's glass or plastic) and it's still incredibly quiet.

Thanks guys. Yeah I can't see the Quiet version of this case mentioned specifically, which is a shame, I do like the see-through look, but like quiet more. What do you think of MESHIFY S2? Seems like another competent case from Fractal. Nice design too.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks guys. Yeah I can't see the Quiet version of this case mentioned specifically, which is a shame, I do like the see-through look, but like quiet more. What do you think of MESHIFY S2? Seems like another competent case from Fractal. Nice design too.

Not sure what you mean. The Define 7 is one of the quietest cases on the market.

Makes sense! I have a another question that I just noticed: What's the deal with NVMe drives? I did not know about this development. I think the ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F has support for booting from the NVMe drive? Does this work well with Windows 10? Are there other incompatibilities? Not sure I'd go for it, but it seems cool :)

Haha, nice. Happy to join this party. Here's what is probably the finalised build:

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 18 to 20 working days

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not sure if you're aware you got the 2080 Strix in there. It's a heavy premium.

You've selected the wrong H115i, you want the RGB Platinum, no the PRO. Also you can remove the thermal paste.

I would add the Silver warranty, it's only a fiver.

Basically @Nursemorph's build with a Fractal Define 7

Thanks for the detailed explanation, makes complete sense. I suppose I am not fussed over the card brand these days as it's covered under warranty anyway. I'd rather save the cash.

I hope PCS is paying you guys :p