amd radeon hd 8970m aka M290

and this is how it looks like before reaching exactly 102 degrees

4.jpg

i would say repaste if you havent done that, clean the vents and if it continues and you dont want to pay you can always downclock it

edit: those temps jumping is the gpu throttling down to avoid burning up, thats why when it reaches those temps the core drops

thank you , im on my way to the shop for the paste now :)
btw it will not ever reach 102 and 850 core unless i restart the pc , somehow it makes me think not all technicians in pcs are as good as they say, becouse today he once again said that 102 degrees is NORMAL for my card, strange my card doesnt think so )

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thank you , im on my way to the shop for the paste now :)
btw it will not ever reach 102 and 850 core unless i restart the pc , somehow it makes me think not all technicians in pcs are as good as they say, becouse today he once again said that 102 degrees is NORMAL for my card, strange my card doesnt think so )

102 C is NOT normal for any graphics card, let alone a mobile card. I'm surprised anyone would say that, it's a little concerning.

mrducking

Bright Spark
just as spydertracks said: 102C is not even near normal temps, 90C is already considered in the red line

when you repaste remember to be very thorough and making sure it's making proper contact and hopefully this will fix the problem

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Im a bit puzzled as to why PCS are saying its OK though as we all agree its running too hot.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
do the fans ramp up as they should?

Indeed, as a repaste wont make such a difference to temps that high, id be concerned that the fan tables aren't working as they should. This card should NOT be working anywhere near 100 degrees; thats just plain wrong.

Max temps on this card would be around 80-82 at the very most. They actually run pretty cool if used on a cooling pad and the fan profile is working correctly. Something is either borked with the card or there is no paste at all applied to it for temps like that to be seen. Either that or the fan/radiator is blocked or not working correctly. Either way, i would argue my case and get this looked at by PCS to be honest as that advice is just wrong. As stated above, no laptop card should be working at that temperature. Even the ridiculously hot 6990m did not work at quite this high a temperature, and the technology is a lot better on these. If you are using the card at these temperatures it is asking for something to go wrong very quickly. For reference; after installing a 7970m in my p150hm; temperatures are around 76 mark when fully stressed. I do use a cooling pad, but the card you have should be seeing similar temperatures.
Interestingly, cards that are faulty that I have tested display symptoms such as these high temperatures before crashing eventually. At least this is throttling itself which shows not all is lost with the card, but get the laptop open and check the paste asap at the very least. If the re-paste doesn't help, then it needs to be sent back for an rma again.

Last edited:
5.jpg5.jpgokey , so this is what i ve done

i did repaste my gpu and cpu , now it doesnt reach deadly 102 degrees , it sits on 98/99 hopefully it wont go more hot as u can see as long as it does not reach 102 it keeps working on its full ,

btw how u guys do the repaste , u spread the whole thing on the chip or u leave a dip a small bit of it to let it spread itself while on heating ?

and about the fanpads, what do u guys use and r u happy with it , and what fanpad u think is the best ?

i`m about to try everything it takes before changing my gpu for £400 :D

Last edited:

mrducking

Bright Spark
that for a stress test is barely on the limit, now you should try playing something at the highest settings you can while monitoring temperatures
in case you dont have graphic demanding games there is a ton of free2play you can use to test it
and for the paste the best is to put a grain of rice size drop in the center of the cpu/gpu and let it spread when you put the heatsink again
seeing those temps, please check your fans are running properly (they make noise, you will notice) and that the exhaust vents are not clogged with dirt

NilSatis

Bright Spark
View attachment 6527View attachment 6527okey , so this is what i ve done

i did repaste my gpu and cpu , now it doesnt reach deadly 102 degrees , it sits on 98/99 hopefully it wont go more hot as u can see as long as it does not reach 102 it keeps working on its full ,

btw how u guys do the repaste , u spread the whole thing on the chip or u leave a dip a small bit of it to let it spread itself while on heating ?

and about the fanpads, what do u guys use and r u happy with it , and what fanpad u think is the best ?

i`m about to try everything it takes before changing my gpu for £400 :D

Run something like the Heaven benchmark to test the temperatures, Furmark will get things a lot hotter than most application ever would as its a burn in test. If its not throttling in Furmark thats a good start however. If you are having temp. problems running stuff like Furmark is a bad idea to be honest, start with less demanding things and if they work, then hit Furmark...

Imo after a repaste it should still not be getting that hot in normal applications such as using it for gaming. Any branded or non branded cooling pad will do the job to be honest, look for those that have a more powerful fan system and go for that (check Amazon and specifications for example), but I would like to see the temperatures while using something like a benchmark. Run the Heaven benchmark and screenshot the temps there.
To repaste, you should have put a small pea size amount on both the cpu and gpu or a small thin line, and then rescrewed the heatsink on. Best temps will be achieved maybe some hours or a day later when it is cured; although you do tend to get an immediate benefit.
Unless you were out of warranty when you first brought this up with PCS I would personally pursue the avenue of it being faulty from the start although by leaving it you may not have any luck going down that route. £400 for a new card is too expensive to replace a card that new. There should be at least a manufacturers warranty with it too that will last some time. Maybe pursue this if having no luck. Running the card so near to throttling zone is not what should be happening and you will drastically reduce the life of it.