Amd rx 480

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It seems there are a lot more 8gb ones out there atm. If you pick Brand X Retail Website of your choice, it's like there are half a dozen 8gb ones for each 4gb one out there. I heard that AIBs were finding it hard to meet their margins with the 4gb one due to the low base price set by AMD so it could be that there are fewer of them being made and so PCS's supply is more limited. It's only Day One after all. :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm a bit surprised with the pricing on here. Why is it £60+ more than retail? Normally additional components in builds are approx. retail. I noticed the same with the 1070. Adding a rx480 costs approx. £280 in the builds that I'm looking at, can be bought for £220 and the GTX 1070 can be bought for £380 (£431). If I was building a desktop I simply couldn't pay £280 to plug in a RX480 when I can plug in a 1070 myself for £100 more.

It's the obvious choice for anyone looking at the 970 but other than that I don't really see where it fits in the current releases.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's the obvious choice for anyone looking at the 970 but other than that I don't really see where it fits in the current releases.
With the pricing as it currently stands, not just on PCS but everywhere, the 970 might be the obvious choice for people looking at the 970 :/ You can get decent factory OCed 970s for sub £200. If you're on a budget and could just squeeze in a £200 GPU, the often-£230 RX 480 reference model might just edge itself out of the running.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
With the pricing as it currently stands, not just on PCS but everywhere, the 970 might be the obvious choice for people looking at the 970 :/ You can get decent factory OCed 970s for sub £200. If you're on a budget and could just squeeze in a £200 GPU, the often-£230 RX 480 reference model might just edge itself out of the running.

Yeah it does seem a bit strange all round. The price vs performance doesn't really get over the hurdle that's required for the anti-AMD stigma but I suppose it's early days. I'm guessing a LOT of benchmarking is going to be done over the next day or 2, it may all hinge on the VR performance.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
it may all hinge on the VR performance.
It would be interesting for sure, though sadly we don't see many VR benchmarks of any kind. It's generally Project Cars and that's about it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Perhaps manufacturers are just trying to make extra on the initial release although I'm still disappointed with the price translation in the UK. Even with the drop it should not be above £200. £189 is the cheapest I've seen it personally for the 4GB version which is much better value. The 8GBs seem to be a little overpriced.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I saw one for ~£176 yesterday. Just checked that site now and it's £189. So good news, the price difference has closed a bit between the 4gb and the 8gb.. bad news it's because (presumably as stock has been used up) the 4gb price has gone up 7%.

And for those who haven't seen yet: http://videocardz.com/61667/what-re...80-exceeding-pci-express-power-specifications

There's some speculation it might just be sorted with a driver update, as a driver update already shaved ~5W off idle power consumption.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I saw one for ~£176 yesterday. Just checked that site now and it's £189. So good news, the price difference has closed a bit between the 4gb and the 8gb.. bad news it's because (presumably as stock has been used up) the 4gb price has gone up 7%.

And for those who haven't seen yet: http://videocardz.com/61667/what-re...80-exceeding-pci-express-power-specifications

There's some speculation it might just be sorted with a driver update, as a driver update already shaved ~5W off idle power consumption.

£176 would have been a very good price, but the current £220+ for the 8GB doesn't make it much more impressive than a 970 being only slightly more powerful and better power consumption.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If it were more powerful across the board it would be more persuasive, the fact that it loses out to the 970 and/or 390 as often as not in quite a few sets of benches is a shame.
better power consumption.
Apart from drawing too much through the motherboard. :S

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Maybe after a couple of drivers it will be a decent amount ahead. I think it was always expected to be just a little better than the 390 which makes it a pointless upgrade for me.