An indulgent Desktop. Your thoughts please.

stevegardner630

Can you please let me know what you think about the following spec. The PC this will mostly business use, and some video but little or no gaming. Please note some reasons why I am going for the spec as it is:

* The beast will be on a desk only 18" from my head at ear height! I have chosen what sounds to be a very quiet case which at £69 is a good bit cheaper than the Fractal Define 7 Quiet which was my other option.

* My current 5+yr old machine has a 256GB SSD system drive and I am a real fan of SSD. I was going to go for a 4Tb Ironwolf for Storage (as well as the 2Tb M2 drive) but for noise and speed reasons I have been extravagant and gone for the 4Tb Samsung SSD.

* The processor is a bit over the top but I always want to have a bit more processing power as I did with my current machine. Likewise the 32Gb memory, but in the bigger scheme of things the extra 16Gb is not expensive. I have used 16Gb for a long while and it seems to have occasionally been a bit of a squeeze.

* Regarding Fans/cooling. Pretty cheap and mundane but it seems to me that there is little point in having a super-quiet PC if you put too many noisy fans in it. Do you think I should add "Extra Case Fans"? I have added a Processor fan but do you think this is a good choice - noise is the key factor after effectiveness.

I hope this gives a bit of insight as to the thinking behind this spec but your thoughts will be much more insightful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The specification below has been formatted so you can easily copy and paste this to our forums when discussing your specification. Once you've copied the specification, please click here to continue.
Case
COOLERMASTER SILENCIO S600 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
1st Storage Drive
4TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 100 V2 Series High Performance CPU Cooler (AMD)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5GHz, 1000Mbps/2.4GHz
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Monitor
IIYAMA ProLite XB2783HSU-B3 27" AMVA+
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery
SATURDAY DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (BEFORE 2PM)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 12 to 14 working days
Price: £2,764.00 including VAT and Delivery

stevegardner630

Thanks for the reply. £2800/2900 is pretty much the max, but mentioned the Processor Cooling Fan and wonder if I should upgrade that to what is supposed to also be very quiet - ie the Noctua NH-U14S? Open to spending (a bit) more money on the Power Supply and I am open to that but the unsure what power would be appropriate.

On another matter, I'm currently debating whether it makes sense to buy the pricey/elaborate
ASUS PCE AC88 as my knowledge of networking is (very) limited, and i'm receiving the wifi signal from a Sky router anyway so it may not be relevant. Perhaps the INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 will be adequate. I'll see if I can understand more about the functions of these cards by posting a question on Dummies Corner!

stevegardner630

Use is nothing stretching - mostly business and personal use and some very amateur video. Not gaming. The notes at the top explain why I've gone for the different components and I totally acknowledge that (at present) its more than I need.