An upgrade, perhaps?

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Good Evening All,

It seems almost tradition now that at around the 3-4 year mark, I end up looking to potentially upgrade my system - and we're just about at the 3 and 1/4 year stage now.

My current system is:

CaseFRACTAL MESHIFY C BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H60 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans

I run in 4k, using the Acer Predator XB273k.

In general, my system is obviously still performing pretty decently - but in recent months I've noticed a couple of dips in peformance specifically around newer titles (Warhammer 40k Darktide, Cod MW2, Dying Light 2) - but this hasn't really bothered me too much as I'm still mainly a LoL, CSGO gamer who refuses to leave 2010 - but as newer titles are coming out that are enticing me away, and because I've recently come into a little bit of extra money, I'm wondering if there's any input any of you might be able to give me about potential upgrades.

The CPU i have is coming up to 4 years old in July next year, so I would imagine that (as well as potentially ram) could be pretty easily upgraded - but PCS Forums have always been the place that have ultimately helped me make that decision. I also know that we're at that time of the year, ish, where new tech has come out and there's sometimes a potential to snag a deal on tech of yesterday - so any help is appreciated.

I'm keen to potentially break my tradition of getting a brand new PC every 3-4 years, by instead just upgrading some parts this time - which I know PCS can and will help me with - so any input anyone has to help me with those choices is welcome.

If you've any questions at all just give me a shout and thanks again,

Oli

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The CPU i have is coming up to 4 years old in July next year, so I would imagine that (as well as potentially ram) could be pretty easily upgraded
There's gonna be zero benefit to upgrading the CPU for the lifetime of that build. You won't need to upgrade the platform at all, other than perhaps a higher tier PSU to fit a beefier GPU. This is where people get confused and waste loads of money not realising it's not going to benefit them in the slightest.

At over 1080p the gaming load is transferred from CPU to GPU, you will be mostly GPU bottlenecked at 4k, cpu change is not gonna make any difference.

I would suggest if you really feel that performance is suffering after a clean install(I really can't imagine it is due to hardware, perhaps some config issue in your OS) would be a GPU upgrade to a 4090. The 4090 really shifted the 3000 series GPU limitation at 4k to a whole new level.

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
There's gonna be zero benefit to upgrading the CPU for the lifetime of that build. You won't need to upgrade the platform at all, other than perhaps a higher tier PSU to fit a beefier GPU. This is where people get confused and waste loads of money not realising it's not going to benefit them in the slightest.

At over 1080p the gaming load is transferred from CPU to GPU, you will be mostly GPU bottlenecked.

I would suggest if you really feel that performance is suffering after a clean install(I really can't imagine it is due to hardware, perhaps some config issue in your OS) would be a GPU upgrade to a 4090. The 4090 really shifted the 3000 series GPU limitation at 4k to a whole new level.

Cheers for coming back Spyder, appreciate it.

To be fair, I have no issues at all with performance on the PC in general - and recently i've been through a clean install w/ Windows 11 - in terms of general performance, the PC is actually in a great position. I've actually never had a system that, at the 3-4 year point, has ran this smoothly in terms of start up and general use - I guess testament to how good tech is these days. But as I say, I do notice dips on newer releases when gaming.

I have looked at the 4090 - Was keeping a close eye on prices over the last couple of months. It's pretty affordable (well, in the new year anyway) - would i need a PSU change for that?

Thanks again mate

BW

Oli

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Scratch that Spyder, the 4090 can't fit in my case according to PCS Upgrade Page. That's pretty dead in the water!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Scratch that Spyder, the 4090 can't fit in my case according to PCS Upgrade Page. That's pretty dead in the water!
No, you'd have to replace the case and PSU to fit the 4090, that's a given.

That PSU though is even too small for your current 3080 so I'm not surprised you're getting performance issues under load.

My guess is the performance drops are not due to outdated hardware, more configuration that needs addressing.

I would personally upgrade the PSU to a 1200W (if it were me), do a clean windows install so you know you're on a clean base and then retest modern games, my guess is the dips will go.

Also, I take it you're optimising your game settings and not just trying to run at Max?

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
No, you'd have to replace the case and PSU to fit the 4090, that's a given.

That PSU though is even too small for your current 3080 so I'm not surprised you're getting performance issues under load.

My guess is the performance drops are not due to outdated hardware, more configuration that needs addressing.

I would personally upgrade the PSU to a 1200W (if it were me), do a clean windows install so you know you're on a clean base and then retest modern games, my guess is the dips will go.

Also, I take it you're optimising your game settings and not just trying to run at Max?

Interesting - I only went with this PSU due to being told to do so by PCS when I put the 3080 in. Is there any particular PSU you'd recommend? I'll get one sorted ASAP, and do the fresh install as you say.

Yep, optimising. More than happy to run AAA games on max at 60 frames if they are a solo-play experience, but I run all my multiplayer games at optimised Nvidia settings.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Interesting - I only went with this PSU due to being told to do so by PCS when I put the 3080 in. Is there any particular PSU you'd recommend? I'll get one sorted ASAP, and do the fresh install as you say.
When you upgraded your GPU to the 3080, we recommended upgrading the PSU at that time to accommodate it. PCS wouldn't have recommended 650, nVidia themselves recommend a minimum of 750W but that's for the founders edition which uses less power than aftermarket GPU's anyway. So 850w should have been the minimum recommendation. 650W is nowhere near enough. 650 is what you had when you said you were upgrading GPU to the 3080, and we recommended an 850W.

If you were to get an existing ATX 2 PSU, then I'd suggest a 1200W, reason being is factoring in for Transient spikes which the PSU doesn't factor for like on ATX 3

If you were to get a brand new ATX 3 PSU, then I'd say 1000w

The Corsairs are pretty strong ATX 2 models, I don't know if they've brought out an ATX 3 model yet, haven't kept up, but I'd personally suggest the HX range which is top tier.

My favorite manufacturers though would be Seasonic Vertex which are ATX 3 (due for release in a week or two) https://seasonic.com/news/post/sea-sonic-to-launch-new-vertex/ and BeQuiet Dark Powers which is still ATX 2 https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1923

Everyone overlooks the power supply, they don't think it's important in the build, it's the component that dictates the quality and stability of power flowing to every component in the build. It's well worth investing strongly in a premium one. My current one has been in 3 separate builds I think since I bought it new in 2007, I will be retiring it in the upcoming new build and getting an ATX 3 PSU (probably Seasonic).

Last edited:

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for this Spyder, I appreciate it. I love that YT channel, and had actually watched that video just recently.

The sea-sonic ones seem affordable, I've saved the page to take a look for their release dates.

The only one available on PCS is:

1669502004054.png

I'm right in saying this is just ATX2 right? Corsair haven't released ATX3 yet?

PCS's price for this seems really competitive you see.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for this Spyder, I appreciate it. I love that YT channel, and had actually watched that video just recently.

The sea-sonic ones seem affordable, I've saved the page to take a look for their release dates.

The only one available on PCS is:

View attachment 35340

I'm right in saying this is just ATX2 right? Corsair haven't released ATX3 yet?

PCS's price for this seems really competitive you see.
Yeah, that HX is an ATX 2, but it's a great PSU, I have the (now very old) 750W version of it and it's been absolutely bulletproof.

But nowadays, premium psu's are digital with software monitoring capabilities, personally I'd want that in a build if I was buying a new one.

But you're right, that is a very good price having a quick look, even beating most places on the HX1000

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, that HX is an ATX 2, but it's a great PSU, I have the (now very old) 750W version of it and it's been absolutely bulletproof.

But nowadays, premium psu's are digital with software monitoring capabilities, personally I'd want that in a build if I was buying a new one.

But you're right, that is a very good price having a quick look, even beating most places on the HX1000

I think for now I'll go with the 1200 from PCS just for price alone, and then when I come to a new build - which knowing me won't be too far in the future, I'll definitely get a newer unit with the tech and features you've mentioned.

I really appreciate your help with this tonight Spyder, you could be doing literally anything else at nearly 11 on a Saturday!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
and then when I come to a new build - which knowing me won't be too far in the future, I'll definitely get a newer unit with the tech and features you've mentioned.
Don't leap into buying brand new systems so early, it's such a waste of money, it literally gives zero benefit over just upgrading your GPU.

There's absolutely no reason that build won't last you 8 years with GPU upgrades. Upgrading the platform is going to net you zero benefit

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Don't leap into buying brand new systems so early, it's such a waste of money, it literally gives zero benefit over just upgrading your GPU.

There's absolutely no reason that build won't last you 8 years with GPU upgrades. Upgrading the platform is going to net you zero benefit

Noted, sounds like that 4090 and a new case might be the move sometime into the new year!

I've ordered the PSU now and will install when it arrives, will report back with performance changes etc if I remember.

Cheers!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Noted, sounds like that 4090 and a new case might be the move sometime into the new year!
I guarantee that would get your juices pumping for a good few years, not just the increased performance, but the enjoyment in transferring it to the new case, it's a really good way to learn a bit deeper about how things go together.

Groovy, all the best with it, let us know if you have any issues.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Maybe a faster M.2 drive too? You've only one slot on the motherboard for M.2, but a SSD SATA drive might be nice uplift from the HDD?

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Maybe a faster M.2 drive too? You've only one slot on the motherboard for M.2, but a SSD SATA drive might be nice uplift from the HDD?
It's definitely on the cards.
I guarantee that would get your juices pumping for a good few years, not just the increased performance, but the enjoyment in transferring it to the new case, it's a really good way to learn a bit deeper about how things go together.

Groovy, all the best with it, let us know if you have any issues.
Spyder I've just realised, like an idiot, that I have this PSU:

CORSAIR 1000 W RMx SERIES™ MODULAIRE 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA-SILENCIEUX

Is it still worth me upgrading to the 1200W as discussed..? I hadn't updated my spec sheet so pasted an old PSU instead.

If it's not worth it, I'll cancel it with PCS

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Is there an M2 drive you'd recommended Robin?
For the M.2 slot, I’d say a 500Gb or 1TB Samsung 970. For the SATA, the 2Tb 870 QVO. I’d prioritise the latter, as it will have more impact in terms of performance and noise in removing the HDD. You might be able to grab these in Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on Amazon etc.

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
No, stick with what you've got.

Brill,

cheers - I've added that £200 to the '4090, new case, new PSU' fund.
For the M.2 slot, I’d say a 500Gb or 1TB Samsung 970. For the SATA, the 2Tb 870 QVO. I’d prioritise the latter, as it will have more impact in terms of performance and noise in removing the HDD. You might be able to grab these in Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on Amazon etc.

Cheers too Robin, I'll keep an eye out for the QVO!