And the Thanks goes to PCS !

eyoda

Hi everyone,

I would like to keep this simple, because there are brilliant reviews already (And I am not able compete with them anyways ).
Since 3 months I was looking for a new laptop, to replace my HP Dv6500 with Nvidia 8400gs (I know, it was about time), I was keep browsing dell`s website for XPS 15/17 deals, and found i2670QM with gtx555m, but decided to hold out a bit more for ivy bride + kepler GPUs, and I am so glad I did.
During one of those deal-browsing nights I found PCS website, with these brand new componenets and really up date chassis / GPUs / CPUs, so decided to buy from them, because of all this + all the great fans / moderators on this forum. A month of daily browsing + putting together my dream laptop, I decided to go with the following setup:

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 1.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Laptop Security NONE
Carry Case NONE
Monitor NONE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets (VOIP) NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee 30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)
Insurance NONE
Data Recovery NONE
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Charity Calendar NONE
Pricing Information
Price (excluding VAT) £758.33
Price £910.00
Order Quantity 1
Bulk Discount £0.00
Total Order price (Ex VAT) £758.33
Total Order Price £910.00

The most nerve wrecking part was obviously the wait for the new rig:

Processed Date 05-06-2012
Pre-Production Date 06-06-2012
Build Date 15-06-2012
Test Date 18-06-2012
Awaiting Dispatch Date 18-06-2012
Dispatch Date 18-06-2012

But after little unlucky events I finally got my new laptop, build/tested/prepared by the following individuals:

Built By Tom Davies
Tested By Carl Auckland
QC'd By Carl Auckland
Packed By Anthony Cunliffe

So I would like only to thank all those involved.

Keep it up guys,
Thanks you.

Reactions: PCS

eyoda

I made some pics for you :)

I love the keyboard, everything is there with huge buttons (my fingers are quite nbig, so that is just ideal for me), Even the numpad is there with clever enter/0 button.
IMG_5233.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG

On the left side:
IEEE / Lan Port / USB 2 & 3 ports / e-Sata port with combo USB3 / 9-in-1 card reader slot
IMG_5236.JPG

From the Rear:
GPU vent / Display ports / HDMI / DVI-I / DC-in jack / CPu vent
IMG_5240.JPG

From the right side :
Optical Drive(DVD here) / Audio plugs / and an USB 2.0 for my mouse miniadapter :) / Kensington Lock
IMG_5239.JPG

eyoda

IMG_5242.JPG

From upside-down you can see there is plenty of ventilation
IMG_5243.JPG
including a really handy Subwoofer for awsome sound quality
IMG_5245.JPG

Even my Kitty admires this great setup :)
IMG_5251.JPG

and asks me if He Can Has onez as wells pliz !?
IMG_5246.JPG

eyoda

Uh, forgot one thing.

After Diablo 3 ultra (no vsync) / Skyrim very high the max temperature is 79 on MSI afterburner:
msic.jpg

eyoda

A bit of update on the awsomeness factor of the laptop: "Just Got Doubled !!"

IMG_5263.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG

Last edited:

eyoda

Hi, Yes, I do have the LE, and it does comes with chiclet keys. To be honest I prefer them over the backlit ones :)
I am not sure if I can refer to other websites on this forum, but I ordered it from Amazon. just put "laptop sticker 15.6", and tons of designs come up, the link to mine is http://www.amazon.co.uk/156-Inch-Taylorhe-protective-holding/dp/B004IIRZYO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1341152590&sr=8-12 Here

for £6.99 it really is a bargain in my opinion, keeping it in mind that this is not a simple sticker, but it has leathery feeling and texture to it, making it much more protective than a single paper sticker.

outsider7

Hi, Yes, I do have the LE, and it does comes with chiclet keys. To be honest I prefer them over the backlit ones :)
I am not sure if I can refer to other websites on this forum, but I ordered it from Amazon. just put "laptop sticker 15.6", and tons of designs come up, the link to mine is http://www.amazon.co.uk/156-Inch-Taylorhe-protective-holding/dp/B004IIRZYO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1341152590&sr=8-12 Here

for £6.99 it really is a bargain in my opinion, keeping it in mind that this is not a simple sticker, but it has leathery feeling and texture to it, making it much more protective than a single paper sticker.

Awesome, do you have a desktop aswell?

I'm debating between this and optimus which will save me about £120. But the Optimus looks like the cooling will suck and I have heard about 90C temps. What do you think?

outsider7

Ah nice, do you have any idea what the Optimus III temps are like? Debating between this and the Optimus but the Optimus will save me close to £200.

eyoda

To be honest, I do not really know how the Optimus II would cool, but if I were you, and there is only £120 difference, I would definitely go with this. Newer, stronger and cooler GPU + better chassis with more cooling, betetr design, and great speakers.

Tanbleeky

Yep, PCS definately seems to be one of the best out there. I have checked out these forums for a few months and the help and advice has been top class.
Although they don't have as many options as other companies out there, the quaility of their service is amazing. All my emails have been answered and the peeps on this forum have been great in helping my create my build.