Annoying framerate drops in Borderlands (original)

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
I was playing Borderlands for the 1st time last night and the framerate was constantly dropping between 60 and 45. I tried playing around with the settings as you do and even turned everything to low, but nothing helped it. I then figured it may be a lag issue, so I went to single player and that didn't help either. I checked my video drivers are up to date and they are. I'm stumped as to what else I can try.... any ideas?

Keedar

Expert
You have that all the time or only at specific locations? 60-45 is bad? I understand if you will get 60 and drop to 10 but 45? Meaby you expecting to much :)

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
It's literally happening every few seconds and it's really putting me off playing it anymore.

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
Get something that will show you what the computer is doing, like performance monitor, then run the game and see if anything is spiking on performance monitor.

This might help you determine if the system is waiting for something which is slowing it down and causing the drop.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
If it was simply dropping from 60 - 45 you probably wouldn't have a problem, sounds more like its skipping to me if its bothering you.

Keedar

Expert
I will recommend you to use free trial of tuneup and clean your pc from unwanted stuff also you can crate profile to boost your pc performance.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Played this last night actually with the girlfriend who has the same setup as you gpu wise on LAN; she has the same laptop. Plays flawlessly for her at maximum settings, and from my time on it at a decent framerate too. I would definitely do a malware scan and also make sure there are no other background programs running as stated above, as Im really just suggesting that the specs you have run this kind of game at max no problems with no obvious dips in framerate unless something else is happening.

You can and should also open the back of the laptop up and clean out the heatsinks; it is pretty easy to do so as long a you make sure you have the correct size philips head screwdriver . They suck up a hell of a lot of dust quickly and dont have much space; so effectively the airflow gets blocked with dust pretty quickly. Once you have the back open using 4 screws there are also two plates you can remove to get more dust out using the same (or smaller) screwdriver. This reduced max temps by about 10 degrees on the gfs laptop, but she has never had any lagging issues with that card. High temperatures can in theory cause a few of these issues but most likely on more intensive games than borderlands.