annoying virus Lenovo laptop windows 10

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
hi, I wondered if any of your experts out there would be able to help me. I recently tried to download a workshop manual from what I thought was a legitimate site, only to find out it infected my PC. And now, although I know which files they are, I cant uninstall, or access them to delete or rename. They have also turned my defender off and prevented access to this as well.

I managed to download Avast to cleanup the viruses, but these files are still there. Details are...

MPC cleaner cant uninstall or access to delete reports access is denied
NW an advertising browser window pop up I can turn this off in task manager but comes back on next reboot

There was a heap load of other stuff which I managed to get rid of. I used to be able to edit the startup files in previous versions of windows, but with 10 I'm lost.
I am loathed to download any advertised cleaners or maleware checkers for fear of more unscrupulous hackers trying to do the same thing.
Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

lifeguardsm

I have Malwarebytes which stop these from happening, you can download a free version and then use it to see if they can remove it. Secondly you could alwys go back to the factory point which will remove all files but if u have any saved files on the laptop that will defo go.

I know people have bad things about different anti-virus programs - but for me I have had McAfee and had no problems at all, not even playing PC games. But every machine and people are different.

my advise is stay away from Norton - had lots of issues with that.

paul1224

If you're running a virus scan with an infected pc, you need to start Windows in safe mode. Google how.

If you have the new Windows 10 build Windows Defender now does allow offline scanning which may help as well, you can access this via 'settings'.

Malwarebytes is a good one to use as well.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Personally, I'd be tempted to blow the entire system away and re-image. That said, this is perhaps overkill for most people.

I wouldn't trust any scanner that is installed onto the system now.

Get hold of one of the bootable AV packages such as the ones available here.

On another, uninfected machine, I'd recommend burning them to CD/DVD as opposed to USB - this prevents anything nasty getting into them.

Run more than one.

Good luck.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Personally, I'd be tempted to blow the entire system away and re-image. That said, this is perhaps overkill for most people.

I wouldn't trust any scanner that is installed onto the system now.

Get hold of one of the bootable AV packages such as the ones available here.

On another, uninfected machine, I'd recommend burning them to CD/DVD as opposed to USB - this prevents anything nasty getting into them.

Run more than one.

Good luck.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Once a virus has taken hold it replicates throughout the system and the registry. Even if you manage to clean the virus using AV, you're left with trace registry keys and littered files as well as old settings that have been changed like proxies, dns rerouting etc. I would always do a full reinstall to be safe.

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
thanks all for the info, but I was rather hoping someone could help me to access the files by maybe making them accessible via the registry or gaining back my administrative rights.

I know the file names as mentioned in the first post just unable to uninstall or delete. The virus must have blocked my access somehow. I dont really want to obliterate my stuff and start from scratch again without exploring every other avenue first.
Chris

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thanks all for the info, but I was rather hoping someone could help me to access the files by maybe making them accessible via the registry or gaining back my administrative rights.

I know the file names as mentioned in the first post just unable to uninstall or delete. The virus must have blocked my access somehow. I dont really want to obliterate my stuff and start from scratch again without exploring every other avenue first.
Chris

you need to reboot into safemode and run a full malwarebytes scan including rootkits. I'd suggest downloading malwarebytes on another PC. Malwarebytes is the industry standard for malware protection, it's a superb package and comes with no bloatware or adware.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I wouldn't...I wouldn't boot into the compromised system at all. I'd download one of the other bootable AV's I linked to above (on a different PC) and boot to one of them. That way, unless you've managed to get something that has compromised the BIOS, you can scan and hopefully fix your system without it ever activating as you aren't booting into your own Windows.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wouldn't...I wouldn't boot into the compromised system at all. I'd download one of the other bootable AV's I linked to above (on a different PC) and boot to one of them. That way, unless you've managed to get something that has compromised the BIOS, you can scan and hopefully fix your system without it ever activating as you aren't booting into your own Windows.

That's much more preferable.