Another Day, Another Problem, Another rant

E Markwick

So the headphones jack is not responding on my laptop yet again. For the last few months, ironically this problem developed only a few days after I recieved my laptop back after a 4 week wait for PCS to fix it (and being swindled 100 quid for a job I was told was going to be done for free as a goodwill gesture ......; I've been having to restart the computer everytime I want to plug my headphones in.

And now it's not working at all.

So thanks a lot. Pretty much £1,500 I've given to PCS at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll ignore the rant, you do need to remember that this is a family friendly forum so even though you're angry you need to think about how you express yourself.

There have been a great many headphone problems arising from Windows 10, and especially the latest (Anniversary) upgrade. Even if you're not running Windows 10 the issue of which you complain could just as easily be software related as hardware, so before launching into a rant you really should eliminate your software as the problem. The only way to be certain it's not software is to install the cleanest software environment you can and see whether the problem remains. That means unplugging all external devices (and I mean ALL) and doing a completely clean reinstall of Windows from installation media, all the appropriate drivers and all the Windows updates. Experience is showing that for laptops running Windows 10, Windows Update generally finds the best drivers so it's only necessary to manually install drivers for devices Windows doesn't recognise.

You will then have the cleanest and most stable software platform possible, so do not install any other software nor make any configuration changes. Now test your headphones, if they fail now it's most likely a hardware problem. If they don't fail then a careful process of elimination by reinstalling external devices one at a time and each third party software product one at a time, testing carefully after each one, should reveal the problem.

rav007

Enthusiast
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=usb+headphone+jack&tbm=shop

You're welcome :chef:

Edit: what is actually the problem with the headphones and what have you tried? Restarts aside... Have you uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled? Have you checked that they are the default comms device? Which audio driver software do you use? Realtek? Soundblaster? Both (can interfere with each other). The £100 you spent is what it is, you haven't even mentioned the work that needed to be done so I can't form any reasonable conclusion based on the figures alone.

Last edited: