another part of the future...

Spuff

Expert
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/03/06/the-cloud-tech-that-can-change-how-you-play-multiplayer
(I had to click on the play to make it play)

With this kind of tech you could have real army sized armies of real players in war against each other it seems to me.

Will there be a day when we don't need fancy GPU's in our PC's and we can play everything off giant super-computers somewhere else?
Moving in this direction would certainly be attractive to the industry because it would kill piracy.
I guess it all would rely on good internet networks being in place.

Last edited:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/03/06/the-cloud-tech-that-can-change-how-you-play-multiplayer
(I had to click on the play to make it play)

With this kind of tech you could have real army sized armies of real players in war against each other it seems to me.

Will there be a day when we don't need fancy GPU's in our PC's and we can play everything off giant super-computers somewhere else?
Moving in this direction would certainly be attractive to the industry because it would kill piracy.
I guess it all would rely on good internet networks being in place.

As you say, would need good networks. I like the idea but also hate it. I think for certain games it would work really well, but not so much for others

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
I think it's a good idea. I imagine one day it may well be a reality. But I would have thought you would need seriously fast networks in place, to stream all that data.

Androcles

Rising Star
On a similar note, I've recently discovered (yes I know I'm always late to the party) the Steam streaming feature. If you load the same Steam account on two PC's on the same network you can use one to run the games and the other to play them via streaming. It's pretty awesome, if I don't feel like sitting at my PC and want to sit in bed or on my couch with my laptop I can play games on my laptop via the stream that I wouldn't have a hope in hell of even loading if I tried to play them directly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On a similar note, I've recently discovered (yes I know I'm always late to the party) the Steam streaming feature. If you load the same Steam account on two PC's on the same network you can use one to run the games and the other to play them via streaming. It's pretty awesome, if I don't feel like sitting at my PC and want to sit in bed or on my couch with my laptop I can play games on my laptop via the stream that I wouldn't have a hope in hell of even loading if I tried to play them directly.

Ooooo, how do you go about this?

Androcles

Rising Star
Ooooo, how do you go about this?

It's simple, boot up your main PC and run steam. Then load up your laptop and run steam using the same account. Go into your library and all your games will be listed, when you click on one instead of a play button there will be a stream button, clicking that will load the game on your main PC and it basically streams the video over your network to your laptop and sends your keyboard/mouse inputs from the laptop to the PC.

It's only via your own local network, so you can't go round a mates house and do it, but it's great if you don't want to be tied to your PC at home.

I use it all the time, mainly when I'm downstairs cooking, so I can still play games in the kitchen while I'm keeping an eye on things. It works really well, everything is running at the framerate it would on your normal PC because it's actually your main PC that is really running the games, and there's almost no input lag (occasionally if the network gets busy there's the odd freeze but it's not often).

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's simple, boot up your main PC and run steam. Then load up your laptop and run steam using the same account. Go into your library and all your games will be listed, when you click on one instead of a play button there will be a stream button, clicking that will load the game on your main PC and it basically streams the video over your network to your laptop and sends your keyboard/mouse inputs from the laptop to the PC.

It's only via your own local network, so you can't go round a mates house and do it, but it's great if you don't want to be tied to your PC at home.

I use it all the time, mainly when I'm downstairs cooking, so I can still play games in the kitchen while I'm keeping an eye on things. It works really well, everything is running at the framerate it would on your normal PC because it's actually your main PC that is really running the games, and there's almost no input lag (occasionally if the network gets busy there's the odd freeze but it's not often).

That's genius, will give it a go. There's times when playing in bed is the only viable option :)

Androcles

Rising Star
That's genius, will give it a go. There's times when playing in bed is the only viable option :)

It also means you don't have to bog down your laptops hard drive with installed games because it uses all the files directly on the main PC so there's no need to install them on your laptop.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster

I wish I knew this. I could've bought a seriously powerful desktop, and streamed to a less powerful laptop.

amoshi

Gold Level Poster
-no mods
-reliance on the internet (your connection goes down, site "maintenance")
-once a game is no longer "cool", might disappear from service
-regular subscription fees
That's the way I see it. While I hope I'm proven wrong, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Spuff

Expert
-no mods
-reliance on the internet (your connection goes down, site "maintenance")
-once a game is no longer "cool", might disappear from service
-regular subscription fees
That's the way I see it. While I hope I'm proven wrong, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

That's the model for NVIDIA Shield!