Another question on one time booting

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
I'm using the asus p8z77-lx board and I'm looking to install windows 8.1 tomorrow is there a shortcut to boot from the disk on a one time basis or do you have to tweak the boot order inside the BIOS?

I've been comfortable booting from the disk on a dell BIOS in the past as there was a specific option F12 off the top of my head but on the ASUS screen theres only delete to boot to the BIOS itself any help appreciated

thanks

baron75mk2

Banned
I'm using the asus p8z77-lx board and I'm looking to install windows 8.1 tomorrow is there a shortcut to boot from the disk on a one time basis or do you have to tweak the boot order inside the BIOS?

I've been comfortable booting from the disk on a dell BIOS in the past as there was a specific option F12 off the top of my head but on the ASUS screen theres only delete to boot to the BIOS itself any help appreciated

thanks

On Asus boards you can get to the boot menu with F8 , just select the cd drive you want to boot from & press enter.

Although if you have windows 7 , do your self a favour & stay with it , windows 8 & particularly windows 8.1 are a lot of hassel you might want to save yourself from. :eek:

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
I've seen alot of people looking to advise not installing it however there are benefits from installing it?

Thanks for the tip on the one time boot

Deklore

Bright Spark
Generally reports are suggesting Windows 8 has slightly improved overall performance over Windows 7, however if you are a gamer, you may find compatability issues with some games.

Personally i dont like the interface of Windows 8 (or even 8.1) and i kinda see win7 as the new XP, but that is just personal preference.

baron75mk2

Banned
Generally reports are suggesting Windows 8 has slightly improved overall performance over Windows 7, however if you are a gamer, you may find compatability issues with some games.

Personally i dont like the interface of Windows 8 (or even 8.1) and i kinda see win7 as the new XP, but that is just personal preference.

I cant add to this , this is exactly my opinion on it in a nutshell :eek:

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
thankyou both for your advice I have heeded the warning but have decided to give it a crack seeing as I bought it.

However I've just run into a problem I go to press f8 because I want to boot from the CD however all I get is advanced boot options and nowhere to select the boot device i.e. the CD drive.

All im presented with is safe mode etc.

Could anyone give me a tip here at all or am i pressing the key too late.

thanks again.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Hi I managed to fix the f8 problem just wasn't pushing it quick enough.

On a different note I picked the uefi as opposed to non uefi mode when booting from the boot menu is this OK I assumed I'm using that on my motherboard so I pocked that one.

I imagine this makes no difference inside the windows environment when doing everything the average user needs

Thanks