Another upgrade disaster and communication problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a Blu-Ray drive with software as an upgrade to my desktop PC. The drive arrived today but no software included and it's also not in the downloads on the website.

Phoned tech support, over an hour in a queue (with wait times according to the queue system messages supposedly never more than 20 minutes), engineer put me on hold while he found out what to do, then 10 minutes later I got cut off.

Phoned customer services to request return for refund as the product is incomplete. Accepted it, thankfully, and details are in my account. However service says "Standard Replacement" whereas I requested a refund. If they do send a replacement I'll just refuse delivery.

This is the second time I have had issues with an upgrade order recently. Why can't PCS get things right first time, at least most of the time?

I have now ordered a drive with software from Amazon instead. I would prefer to support an independent UK company rather than a multinational tax-dodger, but I also prefer the hassle.

Of course Covid will be the reason/excuse. But that's been nearly a year, surely enough for any company to get their act together.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17413

Its not a case of getting their act together.
Most admin are working from home, the production floor has limits on staff and the number of orders has gone up dramatically.
Its a company that relies on manpower, meaning there is no way round it until they can return staffing to normal.

I know thats not much consolation.

The software for that Bluray drive is probably something like PowerDVD (had it in a previous laptop from PCS), what did they say about trying to get the software to you or did you go straight to refund after it cut off?

On the first call to tech support he didn't say how I'd get the software and didn't seem to know. He said he would put me on hold while he spoke with someone about it, then around 10 minutes later the call cut off. I waited around half an hour to see if he'd send an email update or if the software download would appear in my account, but nothing.

On the second call to customer services (option 4, all other enquiries) which was a much shorter wait, I just asked for refund. He didn't offer to send the software, just accepted the return on the basis that the software was missing. I explained what had happened on the first call.

All I want is software to play Blu-Ray disks (I know VLC doesn't) and write BD-R data disks. I was expecting it to be part of the PowerDVD family (only Blu-Ray not DVD) because that's the usual bundled software.

D

Deleted member 17413

Cyberlink PowerDVD does bluray too... ive got an old version 10 CD still kicking around from mine.

I would email them, put a link to this thread in, and just explain that its all a bit messy.
It will take a few days for an email reply atm, they are properly struggling.

But at least you may find out if its a refund, replacement or if they can just send you the software.... atm sounds like youre gonna get a new drive in the post (possibly with or without the software to run it)

I'll email enquiries@... hopefully they will get to it before they ship a replacement but I'm not holding my breath. If they do send a replacement I'll just refuse the delivery.

I have put a note in the package with the RMA number and requesting refund too.

I have one on order from Amazon now (retail pack with software) which was also a tenner cheaper.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All I want is software to play Blu-Ray disks (I know VLC doesn't) and write BD-R data disks. I was expecting it to be part of the PowerDVD family (only Blu-Ray not DVD) because that's the usual bundled software.
VLC does play blurays, you just have to install an add on.

There are loads of them, just google.

daveeb

Enthusiast
On the first call to tech support he didn't say how I'd get the software and didn't seem to know. He said he would put me on hold while he spoke with someone about it, then around 10 minutes later the call cut off. I waited around half an hour to see if he'd send an email update or if the software download would appear in my account, but nothing.

On the second call to customer services (option 4, all other enquiries) which was a much shorter wait, I just asked for refund. He didn't offer to send the software, just accepted the return on the basis that the software was missing. I explained what had happened on the first call.

Imgburn burns BD-R data discs really well, it's excellent software and is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.