Anti Virus/Maleware Software Recommendations

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Morning all,

I should be getting my new PCS desktop soon... and I've been looking at what anti virus/maleware software apps out on the market and which of these will be best for me.

Thing is, it's often hard or impossible to tell if what you are reading is an advert or full of the writers bias towards a certain brand. So what do people here use? I'm primarily gaming or You Tube....

Have used Bullguard and Malewarebytes, I prefer the later as it seems to be less flashy and more to the point where an anti virus/maleware program is concerned. Bullguard is also good, but it's a bit like a seat belt that works fine, but also allow the seat belt to play you FM radio... I just want it to save my life and work properly without any hitches.

Looking forward to the recommendations, cheers.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just use Windows Defender for your AV, if you’re following safe browsing practices and not clicking any email links from the deposed President of Nigeria, it’s all the antivirus you’ll ever need. A weekly scan with the free Malwarebytes is also a good idea (just don’t get the full version, having two AV’s will clash).

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Actually amazed at how many don't use anything other than W.Defender.

Malewarebytes is still appealing for the kids mind, but pleased to here BullGuard not being essential as it's pretty damn expensive.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Ha... don't even go there. Bad enough with the wife....shhh

(Nursemorph - would you also check out my PC spec thread, would value your opinion on cases)... thanks if you can.

Me4499

This is the most recent thread generally about anti virus/malware and the advice is clear so I thought I'd reply to it instead of creating a new thread.

I am quite happy to take the advice of using Windows Defender in Windows 10. I might go for installing Malwarebytes from https://www.malwarebytes.com/, just the free version to be able to run a scan every so often.

I will be getting my new desktop PC in the next week or so :D, I have used the paid home version of Bitdefender Internet Security for about 2 3/4 years now on a couple of different laptops. It has worked fine and I've thankfully never had any major issues.

I helped my brother by setting up new laptops for two of my nephews in the last couple years. I first left them with Defender though I think he swapped to BT Virus Protect which seems to be a version of McAfee. I've not heard any complains from them though their laptops could be running slower than they need to be.