Anti-Virus Software 2022

SammySix86

Hi All!

I hope 2022 is treating you all as well as can be. With my AV sub soon coming to an end I find myself at a crossroads, over the years I have placed my faith in Kaspersky, which has never set me wrong in its defence, that said I read more and more (in a balanced fashion I hasten to add) about the potential for influence for state interference, yes it sounds dramatic and I know it'd take more than Vlad clicking his fingers to absorb the service to his own benefit, but after forking out nearly £2k for my rig, I'll be sure to give it the very best protection available and not leave it at the whim of a maelstrom of conflict, both offline and online.

Which brings me to my point, for a paid service, what are your suggestions? I'm cautious of KP, but not totally put off. I know there'll be those of you out there with far more astute senses of the AV world, and the PCS community has never let me down.

I look forward to your comments. Have a great day wherever you are!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Unless you have a specific feature that you're looking for in internet security I wouldn't recommend any paid AV subscriptions. Not for typical users at least.

I've not used any AV for many years now, relying on Windows Defender and the built in tools it offers. Most on here, I'm pretty certain, would have the same train of thought.

SammySix86

Unless you have a specific feature that you're looking for in internet security I wouldn't recommend any paid AV subscriptions. Not for typical users at least.

I've not used any AV for many years now, relying on Windows Defender and the built in tools it offers. Most on here, I'm pretty certain, would have the same train of thought.
Hmmm, interesting response and not one I anticipated. I guess I'm careful enough to not risk any untrustworthy sites on the PC so by that logic I shouldn't stumble on to any harmful files/attempts etc., but I'm not sure if that would offer enough protection in this day and age?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I would strongly second this, paid AV's don't offer any benefits as AV's. Actually windows defender offers a lot of benefits for crypto viruses and ransomwares that no paid AV offers.

Paid AV's are a bit of a scam these days since windows 8, just no requirement for them anymore, like on MacOS as the built in tools are so efficiient.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Hmmm, interesting response and not one I anticipated. I guess I'm careful enough to not risk any untrustworthy sites on the PC so by that logic I shouldn't stumble on to any harmful files/attempts etc., but I'm not sure if that would offer enough protection in this day and age?

Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting you go without AV, I'm just stating that Windows has a good built in AV security structure in Windows Defender :)

You will always be the biggest stakeholder in your internet security though, so always being cautious about potential malicious sites/files/mails/etc would stand regardless.

0-day can only really be stopped by sandboxing processes that you don't trust. This is also a feature that Defender offers nowadays.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This is a good read. It covers an overview of Defender as well as a description of how it running in a sandbox offers another layer of protection.

If you have Windows 10 Pro you can also run an entire sandboxed environment to play around with anything you are unsure of.

barlew

Godlike
Its already been said but I completely agree with all the other guys. Windows Defender is an excellent package for your security. No need for anything else. Not only is it as competent (if not more so) than paid AV in terms of protection, it also provides an enormous performance benefit as it is not a resource hog.

I haven't used a 3rd party AV solution since Windows 8.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah just keep the mentality that the best defense for your system is you and the biggest threat to your system is you.

Be careful don't do silly things and use Windows Defender, it's just as good or better than any of the paid options out there from a regular consumer stand point

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I use this, it’s pretty good.

F5F031FC-B17B-4039-967E-5D8259A59AFE.jpeg

I’m fully in agreement with everyone. A lot of technical issues here on the forum have been solved by removing the BullGuard AV and I personally had a nightmare of a year during my time using Norton. Avast have been known to harvest user browsing habits and sell that info onto advertisers and McAfee uses up so much processor resources that your PC will run at a snails pace.

Windows Defender was developed by Microsoft to run alongside its OS beautifully, like you and your partner gently skipping hand in hand down a sandy beach as the waves lap at your toes. Paid AV is not designed with that in mind and is more like wearing a ball and chain as you walk through a bog with a pervert filming you.

SammySix86

I use this, it’s pretty good.

View attachment 32954

I’m fully in agreement with everyone. A lot of technical issues here on the forum have been solved by removing the BullGuard AV and I personally had a nightmare of a year during my time using Norton. Avast have been known to harvest user browsing habits and sell that info onto advertisers and McAfee uses up so much processor resources that your PC will run at a snails pace.

Windows Defender was developed by Microsoft to run alongside its OS beautifully, like you and your partner gently skipping hand in hand down a sandy beach as the waves lap at your toes. Paid AV is not designed with that in mind and is more like wearing a ball and chain as you walk through a bog with a pervert filming you.
Your dulcet tones impress as always Coop! That’s precisely what I’ll do…the Windows route that is…not trudge through a bog…with a camera.

dogbot

Bright Spark
I used to buy Acronis True Image for back ups to an external drive, that is, until they added AV to the product and called it Acronis Cyber Protect. It took over the computer so I backtracked to the 2017 version which only gives me what I need.

loso64

I have been using Eset my whole life, but that is also antivirus from my country of Slovakia.
I am currently using Eset Endpoint Security and it never did me wrong, it has ton of features and protection and it is very light on resources, never ever did i notice a lag in any pc i tried it on.
Gaming Mode is also huge +, when you start playing a game, the antivirus wont be doing active full on scans.
This antivirus protected me from many potentially inflicted websites and files.

Luckily i dont have to pay for it, as my dad is paying 50+ licenses for his own company and allowed me to get one. It might be way above a normal budget as i am pretty sure the version i have is corporate version

loso64

You must be doing some dodgy stuff if you've come across "many" infected files.....
well you would be surprised how many pages when you even google for basic stuff, game related stuff, not even talking about adult pages, are infected or suspicious