Any experience with shipping your PC?

marvir

Enthusiast
Hey all,

I've had 3 gaming laptops in the past 7 years as I've moved around a lot, but just found them too impractical financially speaking, when it comes to upgrading. Ordered my first PC since forever, and now I have to move.

I'm going to be posting a lot of my stuff to my new address as I don't have a car/driver's license, and wanted to ask if anyone here has had experience/ suggestions on which company to use, etc etc. I'm doing the same for my tv and computer monitor, hoping to hear suggestions on the company that's best suited (safest) for transporting fragile stuff. Also if you guys had any idea of what I could expect for pricing, even in general estimates, would be great.

Thanks in advance!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Is it within the UK? I had to move my TV and desktop, used a local company that offers insurance, check reviews online before choosing one

marvir

Enthusiast
Yeah it's within the UK. If yours was in the UK, which company did you go for? And was it expensive?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah it's within the UK. If yours was in the UK, which company did you go for? And was it expensive?

It was a local company operating in Surrey. The cost depends on the items, value and how far is it. I moved like 10 miles.

marvir

Enthusiast
Ah ok thanks. I guess I'll probably have to enquire with a bigger company, as I'm moving from N. Yorks to Leicester, roughly 130 miles.

And then again after that a couple of months after. Ahh, really feeling the difference between a laptop and a whole rig.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Is there a possibility that you could ask a family member or friend to take you in their car? You could repay them in someway I'm sure!

Androcles

Rising Star
If you want to move some furniture and items including PC's there are many removal firms around, I would recommend Furnells or Pickfords as two of the big national companies.

marvir

Enthusiast
Is there a possibility that you could ask a family member or friend to take you in their car? You could repay them in someway I'm sure!

Have none of those in this country :sweatdrop: I moved to the UK 6 years ago on my own so yeah haha. Most of the friends I made don't really have cars/ come from other countries themselves.

@Androcles Would you say Furnells or Pickfords are also alright to use if I only need like a TV and a PC? I have no furniture to move, literally just my accumulated stuff and clothes I can take in my bags on the train (hopefully just 1 trip), then post my PC and TV to myself.

Edit: It seems they do full on moves, don't think 2 or 3 boxes would be right, I may be better of with something like City Link or whatever delivery company has the best reviews.

Last edited:

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
If you're just sending a couple of boxes, you want a parcel delivery service (ParcelForce, Amtrak, UPS, etc.) or even a taxi courier (like Addison Lee).

ricbai

Bronze Level Poster
HI Marvir,

Which part of North Yorkshire and Leicestershire are you moving to/from? I've got relatives in Brighouse (and my Farnham based "boss" is from there!) and live in North West Leicester - I may be able to assist in some way (at the very least, I may be able to loan you my PCS packaging ;) ).

When we moved from Leicester to the South West, we found a good Leicester "man and van" company with a recommendation from my father-in-law, but for "whole house" moves from Harrow->Lewisham->Ashford,Kent->Leicester us used Multimovers: but they are London based so Yorkshire->Leicester may be outside their preferred work area. Using a 3rd party moving company does mean they are (or, at least, should be) insured and you should be able to get in writing some confirmation of insurance coverage for high-value/delicate items (such as monitors/PCs etc) - but they may want to see them working "before hand" (we've always moved our IT equipment ourselves for many reasons).

marvir

Enthusiast
HI Marvir,

Which part of North Yorkshire and Leicestershire are you moving to/from? I've got relatives in Brighouse (and my Farnham based "boss" is from there!) and live in North West Leicester - I may be able to assist in some way (at the very least, I may be able to loan you my PCS packaging ;) ).

When we moved from Leicester to the South West, we found a good Leicester "man and van" company with a recommendation from my father-in-law, but for "whole house" moves from Harrow->Lewisham->Ashford,Kent->Leicester us used Multimovers: but they are London based so Yorkshire->Leicester may be outside their preferred work area. Using a 3rd party moving company does mean they are (or, at least, should be) insured and you should be able to get in writing some confirmation of insurance coverage for high-value/delicate items (such as monitors/PCs etc) - but they may want to see them working "before hand" (we've always moved our IT equipment ourselves for many reasons).

Hiya, and thanks for the reply.

I am currently in Calton near Skipton and Cossington in Leicestershire is where I'll be moving my stuff to. I still have my PCS packaging though hehe which is massive (barely fit through the doors, it's about 75cm or something) but thanks anyways. We only really have maybe 2 or 3 parcels at most to send out, and my PC is really the only one that I'm worried about. I've checked the ParcelForce website and I am able to pay in for a higher compensation, which rockets the cost of the shipping from £57 with standard (up to £250) to about £113 when I enter the value of my pc which is just under £1400, but since I don't drive and don't really know anyone to help me move, shipping is the only option. I was hoping it wouldn't be this expensive but it's probably the only way I can do it with some peace of mind.

I will have to shop around a lot more to see if some companies like you mentioned can do it for less but still insured though. Thanks a lot!