Any good budget gaming monitors?

Goodjacky

So I have order my pc from pcs and I need to buy a new gaming monitor because my current monitor can only display up to 720p. I don't want to buy it from pcs either because I don't want to encounter any more problems(not saying they have any problems it just that I need to get a piece of new technology early or else I am going die from waiting for my pc)
So I was thinking of buying it from eBay or amazon or something like that so any suggestions?

Oh my budget is £150 and I would like an IPS monitor that is capable of playing competitive games but if you do have any amazing suggestion that is slightly more than £150 then don't Hesitate to mention it.

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I use a Samsung SyncMaster S24B300HL and it looks fine to me. Should be able to pick one up for around £140.

Goodjacky

Because the Asus is a IPS monitor which means it will have a better colour reproduction and better viewing angles,which also means that I will be able impress my console peasant friends that still plays xbox 360 on a 720p monitor.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
The ASUS is probably a really good monitor, I'm just offering an opinion of the Samsung as I own one. I don't want to go comparing it to one I've never used.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
The Dell Ultrasharp U2312hm is probably the best IPS monitor you can buy at your sort of price range. When I was looking at monitors a few months back it didn't take me long to find it for £160-£170. Ignore the 8ms response time, the actual input lag time is something like 0.6ms which is astonishing compared to others in its price bracket and also for an IPS monitor.

Only thing to really note is that it doesn't have an HDMI slot, it has VGA, DVI and DisplayPort. Those connections are absolutely fine if you only plan to use it for your PC but you may need a converter of some sort if you plan to plug a console into it.

Here's a good review for it: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

Apparently IPS monitors do have a slight glow on dark screens but that can even happen on TN panels so I wouldn't worry about it in everyday practice.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have 2x Iiyama E2473HS and they are brilliant, great colour reproduction, 2ms response time and one of my favourite features is having 2 HDMI on each monitor

These can be picked up for around £160, and last I checked, they were stocked by PCS

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I have 2x Iiyama E2473HS and they are brilliant, great colour reproduction, 2ms response time and one of my favourite features is having 2 HDMI on each monitor

These can be picked up for around £160, and last I checked, they were stocked by PCS

Isn't the E2473HS a TN panel?

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Ignore the 8ms response time, the actual input lag time is something like 0.6 seconds which is astonishing compared to others in its price bracket and also for an IPS monitor.

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean 0.6 seconds! I mean, that would be like gaming on a slide projector :D

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I'm pretty sure you didn't mean 0.6 seconds! I mean, that would be like gaming on a slide projector :D

Yes I meant 0.6 seconds... The input lag is different to the response time. Response time is to do with seeing small amounts of ghosting which shouldn't even be visible at 8ms unless you're playing something ridiculous like Quake. Input lag time is the amount of time it takes for the screen to react to your commands, i.e. press the up arrow, player moves forward. I'm fairly certain if you check the input lag charts on that link I posted it shows the u2312hm is lowest with 0.6 :)

Edit: Here you go, I believe he tests it compared to a CRT monitor. His full explanation is on the review:

input_lag_1.jpg