Views on this spec please
Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600S Quad Core (2.8GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 440 - DVI,HDMI,VGA
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO II A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio (£32)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
its good but what will you be using it for? the coolit cpu cooler is sort of overkill if youre going for the i7 S cpu.

ram is quite alot also, you could tone it down to 8gb which is plenty.

Rakk

The Awesome
Taking into account the changes Teaz suggested you may be able to afford to upgrade the graphics card if needed (though depending on your usage you amy not need to)

Also is there any particular reason you've chosen Win7 Professional?
Not that much difference between Home Edition and Professional (there's a link around somewhere showing the differences)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Depending on what you want to use the PC for,you could save yourself a few quid,or maybe get yourself a better graphics card.
In addition to what Teaz pointed out,do you really need the extra features of Windows 7 Professional, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/compare
also the sound card you have selected probably isn't any better than the onboard sound card.
Not that i'm against sound cards,I have one myself.
EDIT,oops,sorry Rakk,didn't see your post.

Last edited:

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
... Also is there any particular reason you've chosen Win7 Professional?
Not that much difference between Home Edition and Professional (there's a link around somewhere showing the differences)

Yeah its really only useful if you are like me and need to be dragged kicking and screaming away from DOS and XP legacy stuff I think.

There are a couple of other things that spring to mind but they are more corporate issues I feel. One other that may be useful is backup/restore to network, I run a large drive from my BB router and I want to back it up and restore it across a network.

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
Okay don't forget it won't deal with old hardware drivers if Win7 don't have any, however I think if it works in vista you should be able to get it working I read somewhere that win7 is based on vista architecture. Most of my personal stuff is in early XP and my own stuff is pre XP ( DOS) they worked in Vista of a fashion but some were a bit temperamental.

Also I hear that you can run unix/linux in the Virtual mode as well I might give that a go.

bryhop

Thanks, ive upgraded graphics to 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready and Sound card Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium and downgraded cooler to TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER. I will maybe just go for Win7 home on reflection. Thanks for your help, its my first forum.....cant you tell

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
Thanks, ive upgraded graphics to 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready and Sound card Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium and downgraded cooler to TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER. I will maybe just go for Win7 home on reflection. Thanks for your help, its my first forum.....cant you tell

Not really it was my first one 2/3 weeks back, well on PCS forum anyway. The great thing about this place is no one cares if your completely green or a super expert. You don't get too many places where there are a large number of people sharing their knowledge so freely. I've not seen many flames except when the negative stuff came in a couple of weeks ago but PCS to their credit managed it very well I felt.

Teaz

Godlike
you should go for the tripple copper cpu cooler which is perfectly fine to keep temps low. go for the 1gb model of the gtx560 or the gtx560Ti. 2gb is pretty much there if you plan to use multiple screens. 1gb is plenty.

what are you using the pc for?

bryhop

you should go for the tripple copper cpu cooler which is perfectly fine to keep temps low. go for the 1gb model of the gtx560 or the gtx560Ti. 2gb is pretty much there if you plan to use multiple screens. 1gb is plenty.

what are you using the pc for?

I am using it for a bit of everything really. Spreadsheets, video/sound editing, and a few games.

bryhop

Not really it was my first one 2/3 weeks back, well on PCS forum anyway. The great thing about this place is no one cares if your completely green or a super expert. You don't get too many places where there are a large number of people sharing their knowledge so freely. I've not seen many flames except when the negative stuff came in a couple of weeks ago but PCS to their credit managed it very well I felt.

You are not wrong there Unwina

Teaz

Godlike
I am using it for a bit of everything really. Spreadsheets, video/sound editing, and a few games.

the tripple copper cpu cooler will be more than adequate along with the 1gb model. if you go for the titan cooler, you may want to consider a bigger case like the t900.