Any help would be much appreciated. Vortex III

ItsMrMr

Sorry it's my first post but I've been delaying buying for months, I'm not to clued up but have put this together pretty much bang on budget. Would like to know what anyone would chop n change. Machine to be used pretty much for latest games.

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series:17.3" AUO Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£85)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BC-5550H 4x BLURAY COMBO DRIVE & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,627.00

Again any help would be great.

Tom DWC

Very nice! If it's already right on budget then I wouldn't change anything here, you're good to go. :)

My only recommendation if you don't mind spending slightly more would be to upgrade to the advanced wireless card over the standard model (unless you're going to be using a wired connection of course!)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Very nice build,only thing I would maybe change is the ram to 1333MHz as it wont make much difference,but yes very nice as is.
Edit : plus what Tom said.:)

Jak

Great spec really, just a few bits that could change. If you don't intend to either watch Blu-Rays or use them for data storage you might consider changing that to just a DVD drive. That GTX680M is around 200 pound or more than the similar HD7970M so that's a prime spot to save cash but maintain performance if you wanted to save money and last of all, that AUO panel is very nice but the standard matte panel (which should be the CHi-Mei panel) has also been reported as being just as good as the AUO, even beating it in a few cases.

Just some fodder for thought! Hope this helps you get your missus onboard. :D Have fun!

ItsMrMr

Doing as suggested with screen, blu-ray and wireless I'm saving about £100, its just if the £140 extra for the GTX680m is worth it now?

Jak

Well, for maximum future proofing (as far as that even exists in technology) the GTX680M *might* be a good idea but yeah, the extra money over the HD7970M makes it a tough decision. Really, either will do, it's just a case of a) which you like more ATi/AMD or nVidia and b) if you're looking for the absolute most of power or power but without killing your wallet completely as such.

Snubber

Almost the same spec as I am looking to order in the next few week - only differences are standard Matte screen instead of AUO; no SSD (already have one); no blue ray and no OS.

Would have plumped for the 7970M rather than the 680M but concerned with the under-clocking problems many people seem to be having with the 7970M.