Any laptop chassis with upgradable/modular GPU

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Do they still make laptops that allow for upgrading the graphics card? I don't think PCS do them right?

t would be great not to have to hold off for the RTX3000 series.

Bhuna50

Author Level
I suggest you look at googling: "laptop with upgradeable gpu" to get the answers. I dont think PCS do do any - not that ive seen.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The DTR’s have MXM GPU’s, but even then, they’re not really upgradeable. It’s not just the card you need to upgrade, you need a compatible BIOS to support it which none of the system integrators will do, so you’d have to rely on a custom BIOS which would invalidate your warranty and there aren’t any any more since PremaMod went offline, or certainly harder to find.

Plus there’s the cost, a top tier mobile GPU will set you back around £1500 just for the card, you may as well buy a new laptop.

FerrariVie

Super Star
The DTR’s have MXM GPU’s, but even then, they’re not really upgradeable. It’s not just the card you need to upgrade, you need a compatible BIOS to support it which none of the system integrators will do, so you’d have to rely on a custom BIOS which would invalidate your warranty and there aren’t any any more since PremaMod went offline, or certainly harder to find.

Plus there’s the cost, a top tier mobile GPU will set you back around £1500 just for the card, you may as well buy a new laptop.
Not the case for the Nova, unfortunately. It is soldered on the motherboard. I cannot confirm that the same happens on the 17.3" RECOIL IV, but I do believe that it might have an MXM indeed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not the case for the Nova, unfortunately. It is soldered on the motherboard. I cannot confirm that the same happens on the 17.3" RECOIL IV, but I do believe that it might have an MXM indeed.
Oh, thanks, didn't know that about the Nova, that surprises me on a clevo chassis.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Oh, thanks, didn't know that about the Nova, that surprises me on a clevo chassis.
They might be experiencing going away from MXM, or even there might be some kind of compatibility issues with the AMD chipset?

Anyway, I do agree with everything you've said about MXM and I also don't think it's worth the money. Even if your GPU is fried and you need to replace it, a new MXM module usually it's about the cost of a whole new laptop, especially when you save on RAM, storage and windows license (assuming you have a retail one)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They might be experiencing going away from MXM, or even there might be some kind of compatibility issues with the AMD chipset?
That could well be it.

I'm really hoping we start seeing some better AMD support in laptops in both CPU's and GPU's in the next generation chassis next year. I think a full AMD build would be an amazing thing, both in performance, thermals and power usage.