Any Last Minute Changes For This Ryzen 3600x + RTX 2070 Super Build Before I Pull The Trigger on Sunday?

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Costs €1953 as it is. But I'd like to add 3 more CORSAIR LL120 RGB fans because the case can fit 6 fans and it already comes with 3 pre-installed. But for the moment the configurator isn't allowing me to add them for some reason. Also for whatever reason Samsung 1TB 970 Evo PLUS disappeared, so I'll have to wait until they're restocked. The final cost would be just around €2000 which is just perfect for me. The monitor will be S2716DG, I'll have to buy that as well. That's gonna erase another €500 from my budget. The build is strictly for gaming. I do very minimal amount of video editing but only to make mma gifs which can only really be maximum of 1 minute in length. Other than that, it's regular, web-browsing, casual gaming etc.
Oh and since PCS don't work at weekends, I'm just gonna take my time and place the order on sunday evening. That way they'll have a reason to get their fingers out on monday morning :)

CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 2500MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
2 - 3 DAY DELIVERY TO REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Oh and when you say casual gaming, I take it you mean demanding games maybe like AC:OD, KC-D, Witcher 3, etc, but not competitive gaming, as opposed to Shelter 1, Shelter 2, and Meadow :) Right?

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Looks solid.

Why the Noctua rather than the H100x?
It's my first foray into PC building, so I was kinda intimidated by liquid cooling and how to set it up etc. I understand that there really is no contest between liquid cooling and spinning fans, but because of my cautiousness I just went for the consensus best CPU cooler which was noctua branded coolers. I've been researching one component every day for the last 6-7 days but the coolers I sort of skipped out on, maybe I should study up tomorrow after all. It's really the maintenance of liquid coolers that I'm worried about. Not based on anything experientially, but just based on the words water + electronics + maybe accidental spray hose situation etc. The price difference seems minimal enough so for the better of the computer, I definitely gotta look into it and see if I can pull this off.

When it comes to casual gaming, yeah I just meant single player games that you sit back and play casually. FIFA is about the only game where I dip into multiplayer and even then it's pretty toxic. I'm not chasing FPSs but I'm definitely going for all around elite performance. 3-4 years down the line, maybe I'll go for top of food chain components, but for now I'll just stay right below it and see what I'll get out of it

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
so I was kinda intimidated by liquid cooling and how to set it up etc. I
Well there I have some good news.

There's no setup, and no maintenance, beyond that which you'd have to perform for an air cooler anyway i.e. dusting the fans and the radiator / heatsink.

It's not like open loop liquid cooling (the kind with the coloured pipes everywhere) where you do need to drain, flush, refill it every now and then, and upgrading components involves new waterblocks and so forth.

The liquid coolers like the H100x are known as CLC (closed loop coolers) or AIO (all in one) - in that they're sealed units that just sit there, much like an air cooler with a tower heatsink + fan, doing their job without needing anything from you.

As for the single player games, as long as the games you're playing are very graphically demanding and you want a high framerate, the 2070 Super is appropriate. Otherwise the RTX 2060 non-super is more than fine to play most titles at 1440p on Ultra ~60fps or more.

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Well there I have some good news.

There's no setup, and no maintenance, beyond that which you'd have to perform for an air cooler anyway i.e. dusting the fans and the radiator / heatsink.

It's not like open loop liquid cooling (the kind with the coloured pipes everywhere) where you do need to drain, flush, refill it every now and then, and upgrading components involves new waterblocks and so forth.

The liquid coolers like the H100x are known as CLC (closed loop coolers) or AIO (all in one) - in that they're sealed units that just sit there, much like an air cooler with a tower heatsink + fan, doing their job without needing anything from you.

As for the single player games, as long as the games you're playing are very graphically demanding and you want a high framerate, the 2070 Super is appropriate. Otherwise the RTX 2060 non-super is more than fine to play most titles at 1440p on Ultra ~60fps or more.

Yeah I think watched a video of Linus setting up liquid cooling setup which I now know was open loop type like you said. He struggled a little bit and I was like there is no chance in hell that I could do that if THIS guy is getting little bit stumped. But at least for now, i won't have to worry about all that. You've simplified it well. Now that I know more about this component, I checked out those liquid series builds from PCS. Those ones must be proper torture to set up.

I think I prefer to match the GPU price with the monitor price. It just seems counter-intuitive to get a screen for €510 and then €400 GPU is powering it. I just made that rule up, but it makes sense to me. Plus RTX 2070 Super is just on that perfect sweet spot. It's pretty much slightly worse regular rtx 2080 but for way cheaper.

Now I'm just wondering if I should just say yolo, and go for the most expensive H115i pro cooler with uLTrA quiet fans. It'd basically double the price of noctua fan cooler that i was going for, but this type of tech seems cool enough, where it makes a visible and audible difference.
I think I've been relatively conservative with every component so far, maybe this is the one where all the logic and rationale goes out the window. I still have 48 hours to go, so I'll sleep on it, daydream about it and then I'll see.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The H100x is more than fine.

Get it with the quiet fans if you wish, although I wouldn't - because you seem to intend to add 3 RGB fans anyway.

So no point paying extra for 3rd party fans on the liquid coolers, if you're then just going to replace those fans with RGB stuff anyway

The case has 3 RGB fans as standard (front). 2 fan mounts up top. 1 fan mount at the rear. The H100x would go up top, occupying the 2 fan slots. So if you buy your extra 3 LL 120s, 2 will go on the H100x's radiator, replacing whatever is there, and 1 on the rear fan mount. If that explanation makes sense :)

I think I prefer to match the GPU price with the monitor price. It just seems counter-intuitive to get a screen for €510 and then €400 GPU is powering it.
As long as you're actually benefitting from the 2070 Super's extra performance, I think that's fine.

If you're playing Metro Exodus, you clearly get some benefit:
metro-exodus-2560-1440.png

If you're playing F1 2018 and similar, less demanding titles..
f1-2018-2560-1440.png

no point spending £200-250 more for extra frames your monitor can't even display! :)

Also, you're gonna keep your monitor a lot longer than you're gonna keep your graphics card, probably.

As long as you're sure you'll get benefit in the games you play today, and are happy paying the premium (~65% higher price vs 2060 for ~35% more performance on a good day), then the 2070 Super is a solid choice.

Potatoguru

Bronze Level Poster
Why the Noctua rather than the H100x?

From the tests I've seen online the noctua cpu fans can actually outperform a lot of the liquid coolers on the market, and run quieter.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The H100x will easily outperform the Noctua cooler. it can outperform 280mm liquid coolers like the H115i as well, albeit at a higher level of noise.

But yes, the Noctua will match or beat anything upto/including H80 levels.

Any of the Noctua, H100x, H115 of course be excellent, though if dropping ~£60+ on a cooler because one wants an effective cooler, the H100x probably offers better bang for buck, doesn't have Noctua's 'unique' colour scheme (!) and doesn't involve a particularly large lump of metal hanging off the mobo if that kind of thing bothers you (it does some people, even if it's fine)

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
The H100x is more than fine.

Get it with the quiet fans if you wish, although I wouldn't - because you seem to intend to add 3 RGB fans anyway.

So no point paying extra for 3rd party fans on the liquid coolers, if you're then just going to replace those fans with RGB stuff anyway

The case has 3 RGB fans as standard (front). 2 fan mounts up top. 1 fan mount at the rear. The H100x would go up top, occupying the 2 fan slots. So if you buy your extra 3 LL 120s, 2 will go on the H100x's radiator, replacing whatever is there, and 1 on the rear fan mount. If that explanation makes sense :)

As long as you're actually benefitting from the 2070 Super's extra performance, I think that's fine.

no point spending £200-250 more for extra frames your monitor can't even display! :)

Also, you're gonna keep your monitor a lot longer than you're gonna keep your graphics card, probably.

As long as you're sure you'll get benefit in the games you play today, and are happy paying the premium (~65% higher price vs 2060 for ~35% more performance on a good day), then the 2070 Super is a solid choice.

Uh I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead with RTX 2070 Super. I'm not really concerned about the extra that I have to pay for even if it's not the most cost and fps-effective option. I gotta live a little, I don't really have many other hobbies.
So anyway, from what I understand Corsair 460x case can fit 6x120mm fans. 3 already comes with the case and I was gonna buy 3 more for €66. Now if the AIO liquid cooler already comes with 2 fans, then I really need one more fan to max out the fan count in this case right? I don't really care about the fans with RGB stuff, I really just wanna play around with 6 fans and airflow optimization inside the case. If that's the case then it's perfect for me, noctua CPU cooler + 3 RGB fans = corsair h115i Pro + 1 fan. That right hand of the equation is way better and pretty much costs the same in the grand scheme of things.

If I'm correct then it's extremely good news. I knew it was the right decision to go by you guys first to get some sage advice instead of impulse ordering on thursday. So thanks for the help, It's much appreciated. I'll post a review in a month when I have everything in full flow

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Uh I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead with RTX 2070 Super. I'm not really concerned about the extra that I have to pay for even if it's not the most cost and fps-effective option. I gotta live a little, I don't really have many other hobbies.
And I wasn't trying to talk you out of it? :p

So anyway, from what I understand Corsair 460x case can fit 6x120mm fans. 3 already comes with the case and I was gonna buy 3 more for €66. Now if the AIO liquid cooler already comes with 2 fans, then I really need one more fan to max out the fan count in this case right? I don't really care about the fans with RGB stuff, I really just wanna play around with 6 fans and airflow optimization inside the case. If that's the case then it's perfect for me, noctua CPU cooler + 3 RGB fans = corsair h115i Pro + 1 fan. That right hand of the equation is way better and pretty much costs the same in the grand scheme of things.
I'd encourage you not to buy the H115i because it's just not worth it.

It's expensive, and the H100x is more effective out of the box anyway as far as I understand it.

Furthermore:

Radiator compatibility:
Front:............................................................................... 280mm/360mm
Top:.....................................................................................................240mm
Rear:...................................................................................................120mm
The H115i is a 280mm cooler, meaning it will need to go at the front. So you'll have, I suppose, 1 RGB fan at the front, and the other 2 distributed around the case (top/rear). Which would probably look rather strange to most people :)

Also, maxing out the case fans is a case of MOARFANSitis. It doesn't necessarily help improve thermals, and can actually hinder depending how they're set up.

The 5 fans (2 from the case, 2 from the H100x) will provide liberally more than enough cooling. In fact the 3 stock case fans are more than fine on their own anyway.

You can always buy any new fans you want down the line, but I'd suggest getting the PC with its stock fans + any from the AIO cooler, and then only revisit that once you have a baseline. If you even want to; you're likely to find there's no point.

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
I'd encourage you not to buy the H115i because it's just not worth it.

It's expensive, and the H100x is more effective out of the box anyway as far as I understand it.

You can always buy any new fans you want down the line, but I'd suggest getting the PC with its stock fans + any from the AIO cooler, and then only revisit that once you have a baseline. If you even want to; you're likely to find there's no point.

Gooooood point. I was actually looking through the product page of 460x on corsair's website and I noticed it doesn't list the h115i Pro in the list of compatible coolers. Multiple echoing Uh-ohs went through my head. Then I saw your comment and it all clicked straight away.
It's official, I'll just go for 3 preinstalled fans + h100x. I guess it's called h100x in europe and not h100i like in almost all places.
I must say though, PCS definitely know how to pick their stock portfolio. Every component I've researched from the list of available components in the configurator is just very, very gool, well rounded, no obvious weaknesses, and the prices are actually cheaper in some cases than If i sourced them on my own. Aaaaand they'll do most of the work before shipping it out. How amazing is that!! I went to some other competitor's websites and they just aren't on the same level.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's official, I'll just go for 3 preinstalled fans + h100x. I guess it's called h100x in europe and not h100i like in almost all places.
The H100x and H100i are different. e.g. the H100iV2 was Asetek, but the H100x is Coolit. Plus whatever other changes they made.

It fits the same kind of uses/market of course but it is a new version rather than an EU/USA thing. :)