Any possible way to turn off battery charging.

SqueakyTweaky

So my question is there a way to turn off battery charging on Defiance Series 17.3 RTX laptop. Since it is a ultra book the battery is not removable.

Is there some software or bios settings that I can use.
I keep my laptop connected to outlet all time and would only want to use the battery if I'm out of home.

Don't want the battery to degrad that fast. I had other laptops that have been left plugged in and after a few months to a year the battery fails or the charge it holds is not acceptable anymore.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So my question is there a way to turn off battery charging on Defiance Series 17.3 RTX laptop. Since it is a ultra book the battery is not removable.

Is there some software or bios settings that I can use.
I keep my laptop connected to outlet all time and would only want to use the battery if I'm out of home.

Don't want the battery to degrad that fast. I had other laptops that have been left plugged in and after a few months to a year the battery fails or the charge it holds is not acceptable anymore.

No.

It's not a function of software - the charging circuitry is built into unit. The software to control it is built into the electronics.

The days when we had NiCAD or NiMH batteries that suffered with recharge degradation memory are pretty much behind us though. Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer don't degrade anything like as quickly.

My 3 year old Defiance II will still run for close to its original couple of hours of light gaming on battery. It's usually plugged in all the time.

Indeed, I believe with lithium based batteries nowadays, it's better to keep them plugged in.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I agree completely with Tony1044, leaving a li-ion battery plugged in to the charger all the time does it no harm. What will degrade it is heat, so a laptop cooling pad is good for the life of the laptop AND the battery. :)

SqueakyTweaky

Thanks for the answer.
Hopefully these days the batteries won't die that fast then and I wont have to worry . Do you maybe know is it possible to replace the battery and how much would it cost? Thinking of getting a replacement for the future I like to be prepared lol.

Last edited:

SqueakyTweaky

Any suggestions on selecting a pad for it?

The cooler master L2 noise level is not acceptable to me. The laptop fans are more silent than the pad itself.

I agree completely with Tony1044, leaving a li-ion battery plugged in to the charger all the time does it no harm. What will degrade it is heat, so a laptop cooling pad is good for the life of the laptop AND the battery. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thanks for the answer.
Hopefully these days the batteries won't die that fast then and I wont have to worry . Do you maybe know is it possible to replace the battery and how much would it cost? Thinking of getting a replacement for the future I like to be prepared lol.

Generally speaking, unless it's an Apple machine, batteries are screwed into place.

You'd take the bottom of the case off to access it. A screw or two (or maybe more but you get the idea) and the batteries will come out.

You'd be better off getting in touch with PCS about the viability.

I don't use cooling pads I am afraid so cannot advise on a good one.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the answer.

That would be a mistake, batteries degrade on the shelf too, so a battery you buy now would have degraded significantly by the time you want to fit it.

Any suggestions on selecting a pad for it?

The cooler master L2 noise level is not acceptable to me. The laptop fans are more silent than the pad itself.

In my experience you want to look for a pad with either one or two large fans, those that use a multitude of small fans use very cheap fans that generally fail quite quickly. Larger fans move more air and they are easier to clean. Larger fans are quieter than smaller fans too.

Also look for one with an aluminium pad that the laptop sits on rather than a plastic pad. An aluminium pad (actually any metal pad) will stay cooler than a plastic one. That means that the air being blown into the laptop will be cooler and that's important for cooling.

You want to be able to adjust the rake of the plate to avoid RSI too.

Forget extra USB ports, they're un-powered and the cooling pad will be drawing most of the current from the laptops's USB port, so there's not much that you'll be able to plug into those ports. Some people like LED lighting so that's really up to you.

SqueakyTweaky

That would be a mistake, batteries degrade on the shelf too, so a battery you buy now would have degraded significantly by the time you want to fit it.

In my experience you want to look for a pad with either one or two large fans, those that use a multitude of small fans use very cheap fans that generally fail quite quickly. Larger fans move more air and they are easier to clean. Larger fans are quieter than smaller fans too.

Also look for one with an aluminium pad that the laptop sits on rather than a plastic pad. An aluminium pad (actually any metal pad) will stay cooler than a plastic one. That means that the air being blown into the laptop will be cooler and that's important for cooling.

You want to be able to adjust the rake of the plate to avoid RSI too.

Forget extra USB ports, they're un-powered and the cooling pad will be drawing most of the current from the laptops's USB port, so there's not much that you'll be able to plug into those ports. Some people like LED lighting so that's really up to you.

Thank you for detailed post.

Was looking around and found this cooler master pro pad
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/coo...YBRAkVnrG5CMYbBZUo4GtdysRF4CL6RgaAqQcEALw_wcB

Not very interested in led lighting as my keyboard allready has the features.

Will have to take a look what razer has to offer also for laptop cooling.

SqueakyTweaky

So I'm digging up this thread now, my fears have come to life regarding the battery,it is dying. I unplug the the laptop and battery level shows 98% two weeks back, I was thinking ok not a big issue.now today I unplug the laptop it is showing 93 % and after some browsing and a restart it is dropped to 61%.

Any advice? Thinking of selling the laptop if the batteries fails on it this fast.

I discharge the battery once a month and recharge it to full. This just hurts as it wasn't a cheap laptop :(........

Last edited:

SqueakyTweaky

got this tool , so yeah my battery is pretty much on its way out..........

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 268

SqueakyTweaky

Contact PCS, battery has a warranty, 6 months I believe.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm assuming I'd have to send them the pc? If that is the case then that is not an option for me as I have all my work on it and files and would be out of work if I have to do so.

How much usually a battery like this costs if you have any previous experience regarding the situation.

Edit: forgot to add also that it is possible to run the laptop only off the main power as I found in bios a setting that is named "FlexiCharge" also did some research and if I set it to 80% - 100% then the laptop would only run off the main and won't draw any current from the battery until it drops to 80%.

Last edited:

SqueakyTweaky

What do you mean?

Best to contact PCS.

What I mean is it is completely out of the question to send the pc to them for a battery change as I'd be out off work because I wouldn't have a pc anymore for god knows how many weeks.

I will contact them regarding a new battery to be bought instead and try to replace it myself.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What I mean is it is completely out of the question to send the pc to them for a battery change as I'd be out off work because I wouldn't have a pc anymore for god knows how many weeks.

I will contact them regarding a new battery to be bought instead and try to replace it myself.
Ah, I see, yes, there's every chance they will be able to send you a new battery pack to fit yourself. I know they'll do it for keyboards and they allow us to fit SSD's or memory dimms without affecting warranty so I don't see why they wouldn't let you swap out the battery. I'm sure they'd provide you with all the details to do so.

I would contact them and explain your situation. Best to phone them as email takes a long time for a reply.

But yeah, the battery shouldn't degrade as quickly as it has imho.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I discharge the battery once a month and recharge it to full.
That's not necessary nor wise with a li-ion battery. They don't have memories that need erasing by a full discharge the way nicad batteries did, and they don't like being deeply discharged regularly either. The biggest enemy of li-ion batteries is heat, and when being regularly recharged from fully discharged they will get hot....

The Windows battery level is not a good way to measure your battery either, it's dreadfully inaccurate and quite often out of sync with the actual state of charge of the battery. HWMonitor will give you a battery wear level and capacity indicator which is likely to be more accurate and more representative of the actual battery state than the Windows tool.

SqueakyTweaky

That's not necessary nor wise with a li-ion battery. They don't have memories that need erasing by a full discharge the way nicad batteries did, and they don't like being deeply discharged regularly either. The biggest enemy of li-ion batteries is heat, and when being regularly recharged from fully discharged they will get hot....

The Windows battery level is not a good way to measure your battery either, it's dreadfully inaccurate and quite often out of sync with the actual state of charge of the battery. HWMonitor will give you a battery wear level and capacity indicator which is likely to be more accurate and more representative of the actual battery state than the Windows tool.

Thanks for the reply, well the reason I'm doing it is in the manual that I downloaded from PCS download section that " to increase battery life, let the battery discharge completely before recharging" battery faq page 3-21.

And the second quote "Battery life may be shortened trough improper maintenance." to optimize the life and improve it's performance, FULLY DISCHARGE and recharge the battery at least once every 30 days.

So either the manual is old and out dated or not translated properly.

I will get hwid to monitor the battery and see what it has to say regarding the health of it.

Ah, I see, yes, there's every chance they will be able to send you a new battery pack to fit yourself. I know they'll do it for keyboards and they allow us to fit SSD's or memory dimms without affecting warranty so I don't see why they wouldn't let you swap out the battery. I'm sure they'd provide you with all the details to do so.

I would contact them and explain your situation. Best to phone them as email takes a long time for a reply.

But yeah, the battery shouldn't degrade as quickly as it has imho.

Thank you for the advice, will def phone them up and ask for advice. Went through the manual and it seems not to be that hard of a task to get it swapped.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the reply, well the reason I'm doing it is in the manual that I downloaded from PCS download section that " to increase battery life, let the battery discharge completely before recharging" battery faq page 3-21.

And the second quote "Battery life may be shortened trough improper maintenance." to optimize the life and improve it's performance, FULLY DISCHARGE and recharge the battery at least once every 30 days.

So either the manual is old and out dated or not translated properly.
Many thanks for this, I have raised it with PCS with a suggestion that the manual be revised. The manual is clearly outdated, that was good advice when batteries used NiCad technology but it'#s bad advise for Li_Ion batteries.