Any recommendations on upgrading my PC?

KaneMac

Enthusiast
I believe to upgrade anything i will need a new motherboard, but I am curious as to what would be best to upgrade, I am thinking an i7 processor etc, here is my spex -
GTX TITAN (original version)
i5 - 3570k 3.40GHz
8GB RAM
Asus sabertooth motherboard

Coolmaster storm trooper case

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Well if you wanted to upgrade the GPU your existing mobo ought to be fine. PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0 concerns are somewhat negligible: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/16.html
If you want to upgrade your CPU to an i7 of the same socket, your current mobo would be fine, but the value proposition of doing so would be questionable.

What do you use the PC for specifically (or what do you want to do that you can't do now)? And what's holding your performance back? Do you need more threads, more single threaded performance, more GPU horsepower?

KaneMac

Enthusiast
To be honest its just the processor i believe is holding me back, I like all kinds of games, but love total war, arma 3, elderscrolls (modded). I am mainly working out whats the next step to keep my PC able to run games the best I can. some great, demanding looking titles coming this and next yeard.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
TW, Arma and Skyrim/FO4 are relatively CPU heavy. FO4 (and I believe Skyrim) also scales very well with faster DDR4. So I'd suggest an overclocked 6700k + 3000MHz DDR4 if the budget allows. Be aware that a new motherboard may require a new OS if you have an OEM licence.