any suggestion will be favored!!

which to choose

• Total voters

Yatorimo

hi ,everybody, as a person who works in a media company, much volume of my work all concentrate on collecting , watching and analyzing various kinds of videos and films. then recently i encounter the big issue of huge storing needs and accessing in and out resources conveniently and easily. Last weekend, a colleague recommended me to use a device called "docking station" as my brother has justly left two naked HDD at home.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/products/dp/B00D5K089A

He said it is surely suitable for me as the device support company's PC, my own macbook, Ipad ,etc. with different OS.i have searched and scanned on Amazon,
because never before had i been aquainted with this kind of things, will it be easy to operate or how about the efficiency of work compared mobile HDD?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
A docking station is very easy to use and the one you have linked to can take 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch SATA HDD (SATA I / II / III) and supports up to 4TB,just plug in the HDD and start the computer,your system should automatically detect the drive.
I have one included on the top of my case and find it very useful,though it is connected to a Sata port,a USB connection might be a bit slower,but the docking station shown is USB 2 and USB 3 backward compatible,so obviously best plugged into a USB 3 port if your machine has one,as this will be a good bit faster than USB 2 and should be just as fast as a mobile HDD.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have something similar, though mine accepts IDE as well as SATA drives, I use it only for testing and repairing other people's computers and drives and not for regular data storage. A lot depends on how often you plan to be plugging drives in and out of this thing, the weak-link is going to be the robustness and reliability of the drive connections, I don't know how valuable the data on the drives is to you but there is naturally a higher likelihood of poor connection and thus data loss or data corruption using a docking station than using an external HDD. If you swap drives over fairly infrequently it will be great, but if you plan on swapping drives several times a day it might give you problems sooner than you think.

You seem to be favouring this device because you have access to two "free" drives, but from your description of how you work and what you want the extra storage to do, I'd go for a large capacity external HDD and that's what I voted for.

I do realise that my middle name is cautious, when I worked in large mainframe system support where over 5,000 users are working on the computer system you are responsible for supporting, caution is an essential pre-requisite. :)

Yatorimo

Hey, "caution man", I don't figure out what you really mean to say. do you simply mean that i'd better choose the external HDD ?should i also buy a HDD enclosure case to protect my bare drives. then if it is the case, how to make the right choice?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey, "caution man", I don't figure out what you really mean to say. do you simply mean that i'd better choose the external HDD ?should i also buy a HDD enclosure case to protect my bare drives. then if it is the case, how to make the right choice?

Yes, I'd buy an external HDD. You could also get a couple of cheap caddies to mount your two "free" drives into. They'd probably be cheaper than the docking station.

For caddies look at Amazon, external hard drives can be had from anywhere. :)

Yatorimo

thks.. probably would you tell me what kind or brand you've got

Yes, I'd buy an external HDD. You could also get a couple of cheap caddies to mount your two "free" drives into. They'd probably be cheaper than the docking station.

For caddies look at Amazon, external hard drives can be had from anywhere. :)

Probably would you tell me some main standards to make a choice? or which kind or brand you've got? maybe i make a reference to it.:p

Yatorimo

sorry to trouble you again..i would like wonder what the "cheap caddies" refer to ? does it have the same meaning with the external HDD enclosure case or what?

Last edited:

Yatorimo

OK, is this some product similar to your description?http://www.amazon.co.uk/product/dp/B00DW374W4/
actually I am considering that I will try both which will be frequently used in my later work.But I still be very appreciated for your explanation, at least it testifies my right choice. isn't it? If it is the case , later i will confirm the order and pay the bill.:yes:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Probably would you tell me some main standards to make a choice? or which kind or brand you've got? maybe i make a reference to it.:p

If you're asking about caddies, they are all much the same I think. Generally you get what you pay for.

If you're asking about external hard drives then you won't go far wrong if you buy a recognised name; Seagate, Toshiba, Western Digital, LaCie. I have three external HDDs, two from LaCie (100GB and 350GB) and a 1.5TB from Western Digital.

In both cases look around for a caddy and/or an external hard drive you like the look of and in your price range and then ask on here. The guys on here will be able to tell you quickly whether that's a good buy or not.

Yatorimo

Thank you again for your advice! I think it is a good choice for me to buy an external enclosure simply instead of a cumbersome docking station. It also saves me a lot of money. So why not?:punk:

Yatorimo

Yes, nice man, I am not sure i understand you very clearly. But I agree with you that the choice about price and brands. I don't think it is necessary for me to buy hard drives at present. If there is no difference basically, the price of the enclosure had better be under £10. Thks a lot again!

Yatorimo

Well, thank you for your patient explanation. As I have already got two bare hard drives, I think i just make a choice for a simple case.