Anybody tried the new Vulkan API On Doom yet?

NilSatis

Bright Spark
As per title, wondered what peoples thoughts on this are? Have you tried it and what gains did you get?

Currently have an AMD card in my rig (Sapphire 390 Nitro OC) and using this API at max settings, get gains of 30-40fps over OpenGl. Which is absolutely mindblowing, and something Ive never seen before in 20 years of gaming. The game performed well anyway for me, but that's a gpu upgrade level of performance on this game. Constantly around 120 fps (capped) for me at max settings, which is very impressive. This is on an aging but still "not too shabby" i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz. I have seen similar gains on the new 1000 series Nvidia cards, old ones not so much, but still fantastic performance gains for most people. Nvidias performance in Opengl has always been better than AMDs so not so needed for them, but the performance change is there.

I can only hope this is the future of pc gaming at least in AAA titles. Word is that the major game engines will be implementing Vulkan compatibility so it should be good news; bit surprised initially this has had so much more of a performance boost than Direct X 12 for me at least. People on newer cpu architecture are also seeing good gains, but wanted your opinions too.

So far its on one title only, so we will have to see performance on other engines, but its a good start in my opinion! Any one else tested it yet? :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Was going to say it was down to the CPU but the 2500k at such a high clock speed shouldn't be the issue. I guess they just held off on a lot of the optimization and waited for Vulkan to be baked in instead of them doing things twice.

It's certainly some good news though and means CPU upgrades are less necessary as that is where a lot of the boosts come from in both Vulkan and DX12.