Anyone bought the new Vyper Series ?

Bilal89

This is a bit odd but I placed an order for the Vyper series III (magnesium alloy chasis) has anyone had issues with this model they have not started the build yet so was hoping to gain some insight into this machine. (Warning my Specs/configuration is random and strange)

Chassis & DisplayVyper Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryVyper Series 62WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + THX Spatial Audio

I am slightly concerned about heat and noise because this laptop is small/compact in comparison to the others.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What do you plan to use it for?

Apart from anything else you have a lot of RAM and a small drive. Is there a reason for that?

I don't see Windows in that build so what OS will you be using?

Bilal89

Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x THUNDERBOLT 3 PORT + 3 x USB 3.1 PORTS
Keyboard LanguageVYPER SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - 3 User, 1 Year
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserGoogle Chrome™

Sorry forgot to add the rest I plan to use this mostly for Netflix and streaming HD movies is it a bit overkill? I just wanted a bit of a monstrous machine since I have had rubbish laptops so far.

Bilal89

Small Drive due to lack of funds otherwise I would have to opt for rtx 2070 and not the super I had originally planned for 500gb Samsung performance but changed my mind and upgraded the graphics card and downgraded storage capacity to accommodate the cost of the card

Bilal89

I am not sure why I chose 32gb ram have no use for it what so ever but still felt I needed it I will save for another larger ssd and replace this cheap one later on when I have the funds

Delanno

Hello,
To be honest your build seems rather strange.
In my opinion, wince you are not planning to do have tasks and have gaming.
You could first consider another chassis, like the optimus pro, that is still thin, but a bit cheaper. But this is just a detail, as there are obvious advantages on the Vyper, as thunderbolt port and display.
The other thing is, your storage it's something that you need to have enough space from to begin with otherwise your laptop will become useless, so consider changing for a Samsung 970 1tb or at least 500gb to start with. And as said, because you do not use the laptop for high graphic demand activity, you should get the GTX 1660 or maximum the rtx 2060, both of them can handle good amount of graphic power, for a much cheaper price.
Then your ram, 32gb of ram it's just a waste of money for your case. Even if you do medium to heavy graphic demanding activity you would only use 16gb.
So, think about doing some changes on your laptop mate, otherwise you might be only spending money without really having any use for it.

Cheers

Bilal89

Hello,
To be honest your build seems rather strange.
In my opinion, wince you are not planning to do have tasks and have gaming.
You could first consider another chassis, like the optimus pro, that is still thin, but a bit cheaper. But this is just a detail, as there are obvious advantages on the Vyper, as thunderbolt port and display.
The other thing is, your storage it's something that you need to have enough space from to begin with otherwise your laptop will become useless, so consider changing for a Samsung 970 1tb or at least 500gb to start with. And as said, because you do not use the laptop for high graphic demand activity, you should get the GTX 1660 or maximum the rtx 2060, both of them can handle good amount of graphic power, for a much cheaper price.
Then your ram, 32gb of ram it's just a waste of money for your case. Even if you do medium to heavy graphic demanding activity you would only use 16gb.
So, think about doing some changes on your laptop mate, otherwise you might be only spending money without really having any use for it.

Cheers
Thanks for replying I chose smaller storage because I will upgrade to 500gb soon and I don't have anything to store at the moment so 256gb won't be used up at all. 32gb is just for getting over powered so is the rtx 2070 super I just wanted a powerful laptop under 1750 pounds for future plans of gaming.

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, definitely drop the RAM down to 16GB.

Even if you're going for a smaller SSD, I'd get the 500GB Samsung as your primary drive as having Windows installed on this will be blazing fast.

The 2070 Super is very capable for 1080p gaming - you'd be able to play anything out currently at maxed out settings. It should also remain relevant for several years to come. Do you know what type of games you'll eventually be playing? If you want to shave off £100+ you could get the 2070 (not Super) which isn't a great deal weaker in performance, supposedly somewhere up to 10%. You'd still have yourself a beastly laptop, because I don't think there is another laptop this light packing in a full-fat RTX 2070.

Regarding the case, from what I've read on here the Vyper has a good reputation. It's main benefit being that it's very thin and light for the components you can pack into it. When idling, browsing or watching Netflix you probably won't notice it too much, but when pushing it with intensive games, like anything this thin and light, it'll surely be loud and pretty toasty.

Bilal89

Yeah, definitely drop the RAM down to 16GB.

Even if you're going for a smaller SSD, I'd get the 500GB Samsung as your primary drive as having Windows installed on this will be blazing fast.

The 2070 Super is very capable for 1080p gaming - you'd be able to play anything out currently at maxed out settings. It should also remain relevant for several years to come. Do you know what type of games you'll eventually be playing? If you want to shave off £100+ you could get the 2070 (not Super) which isn't a great deal weaker in performance, supposedly somewhere up to 10%. You'd still have yourself a beastly laptop, because I don't think there is another laptop this light packing in a full-fat RTX 2070.

Regarding the case, from what I've read on here the Vyper has a good reputation. It's main benefit being that it's very thin and light for the components you can pack into it. When idling, browsing or watching Netflix you probably won't notice it too much, but when pushing it with intensive games, like anything this thin and light, it'll surely be loud and pretty toasty.

Hi thanks just changed the laptop to 500gb ssd Samsung and 16gb ram

Bilal89

Chassis & DisplayVyper Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
down_right_arrow.gif
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Laptop Cooling StandsCoolerMaster NotePal L2 Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NONE
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Surge Protection6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
down_right_arrow.gif
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour

New modifications here at the end of the month I will upgrade to 1 year collect and return but I wanted to know whether I can upgrade ram to 32gb in the future?

Last edited:

Delanno

down_right_arrow.gif
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
down_right_arrow.gif
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Laptop Cooling StandsCoolerMaster NotePal L2 Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch
down_right_arrow.gif
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Surge Protection6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
down_right_arrow.gif
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour

New modifications here at the end of the month I will upgrade to 1 year collect and return but I wanted to know whether I fan upgrade ram in the future?
Hi,
Happy, to help.

But, I would ask , why exactly you want to keep a high end graphic card like the rtx 2070 super? Honestly, of you don't plan to play high demanding games or softwares, you will only be wasting money and adding a gpu that will contribute in higher temperatures on your laptop, when you could have a leas demanding card and synchronize better with your needs. Then maybe you could even upgrade you storage, that again it is more of use.
I would also, definitely keep the extreme artic thermal paste. It is a better paste and it helps in long term on the long life of your machine.
I don't know about the warranty being able to be changed later on, although I would go with the silver as the price rise is very small.

Cheers,

Bilal89

Hi,
Happy, to help.

But, I would ask , why exactly you want to keep a high end graphic card like the rtx 2070 super? Honestly, of you don't plan to play high demanding games or softwares, you will only be wasting money and adding a gpu that will contribute in higher temperatures on your laptop, when you could have a leas demanding card and synchronize better with your needs. Then maybe you could even upgrade you storage, that again it is more of use.
I would also, definitely keep the extreme artic thermal paste. It is a better paste and it helps in long term on the long life of your machine.
I don't know about the warranty being able to be changed later on, although I would go with the silver as the price rise is very small.

Cheers,

Thanks again does the 2070 (normal version) make more or less noise or heat? So would a 2060 rtx make less sound and heat up less? Would the super 2070 still make more noise even when idle?

Delanno

Thanks again does the 2070 (normal version) make more or less noise or heat? So would a 2060 rtx make less sound and heat up less?
So, the graphic card is the most expensive part of your built, so consider it carefully. If you think that in a near future you are going to play heavy games and you want to have all the settings maxed out, then the rtx 2070 would be enough, but if you are going to be a casual gamer and still want to see some good graphics in heavy games and maxed out graphics in less demanding games like Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm, Fortnight, then an rtx 2060 would be more than enough.
About the ram, 16gb is the standard for games (there is no use in gaming for more than 16gb of ram) and multi task, 32 gb ram is only used for people that work with graphic demanding software and multi task. Quoting another member and moderator of the forum "by the time you need more than 16gb of ram for gaming, it's already time yo change your machine."

Cheers,

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
Yes definitely go for the better thermal paste, you don't want to change that. Also like Delanno said, the silver warranty is wise for just £5 extra.

I personally wouldn't worry about Bullguard as Windows Defender is likely just as good, and if not there are other free options out there.

One other thing: have you considered the 17 inch Vyper? It's also extremely light and portable but the larger chassis will likely contribute towards better cooling. It also has a larger battery and Thunderbolt 3 as an added bonus. The main drawback is the webcam placement, which in the 17 inch model is below the screen.

Bilal89

Yes definitely go for the better thermal paste, you don't want to change that. Also like Delanno said, the silver warranty is wise for just £5 extra.

I personally wouldn't worry about Bullguard as Windows Defender is likely just as good, and if not there are other free options out there.

One other thing: have you considered the 17 inch Vyper? It's also extremely light and portable but the larger chassis will likely contribute towards better cooling. It also has a larger battery and Thunderbolt 3 as an added bonus. The main drawback is the webcam placement, which in the 17 inch model is below the screen.

This is what I worry about the most is heat and noise I fear it will make allot of noise even when idle

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
The Vyper 15 and 17 use the same chassis and cooling system as the Eluktronics Max-15 and Max-17 respectively (which are sold in the US) so you could check a few reviews on YouTube to get a general feel.

Here's a review of the 15 inch model featuring an RTX 2070.

And the 17 inch with the same GPU.

Both reviews cover noise and heat, but they're just there to give you a very general idea because how PCS sets it's fan curves and things like that will obviously also play a role.

*Edit* Hopefully I've not broken any rules by sharing videos about another laptop seller. In no way am I trying to promote anyone over PCS.

Last edited:

Bilal89

The Vyper 15 and 17 use the same chassis and cooling system as the Eluktronics Max-15 and Max-17 respectively (which are sold in the US) so you could check a few reviews on YouTube to get a general feel.

Both reviews cover noise and heat, but they're just there to give you a very general idea because how PCS sets it's fan curves and things like that will obviously also play a role.

*Edit* Hopefully I've not broken any rules by sharing videos about another laptop seller. In no way am I trying to promote anyone over PCS.
Thanks mate will check the video out I may just opt for the 2060 considering my gaming will involve real time strategy games only. I might just spend the extra on a printer and Microsoft word. Cheers.

Delanno

I have seen these videos of the chassis, and it does seem to be almost the same.
Although I am hoping that the chassi on the video and the Vyper to be a bit different. As the chassis on the video does not have thunderbolt 3 por and the Vyper III states that it has it.