Anyone posted a PC before?!

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hi all,

I'm upping sticks and moving to Australia in September. I'd like to take my PC with me if I could as I use it for video editing although not sure how to go about it - has anyone had experience with this?

Would it be better to dismantle it and package the components individually? or should I leave it as one and fill it with foam or something? Or should I strip the HDDs and sell it and buy a laptop when I get there?! Not sure what I could sell it for though.

Interested to hear your thoughts...!

Thanks,

Nathan

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You'd need to get some shipping quotes and compare those with the price of similar PCs in Australia. It will all come down to which is the cheapest and most convenient.

If you do ship it I would personally dismantle it as much as possible and package each component separately, I think there will be less chance of damage that way. I'd also fill the (nearly) empty tower case with foam or similar to give it some internal strength in case (or rather when) they pile other stuff on top of it in transit.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
You'd need to get some shipping quotes and compare those with the price of similar PCs in Australia. It will all come down to which is the cheapest and most convenient.

If you do ship it I would personally dismantle it as much as possible and package each component separately, I think there will be less chance of damage that way. I'd also fill the (nearly) empty tower case with foam or similar to give it some internal strength in case (or rather when) they pile other stuff on top of it in transit.

Sound advice, thanks! I'm mostly worried about my HDDs - I'll back them up obviously, but presume they're OK to take as hand luggage with my camera etc?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sound advice, thanks! I'm mostly worried about my HDDs - I'll back them up obviously, but presume they're OK to take as hand luggage with my camera etc?

I'd have thought so but to be safe I'd check with the airline. I think I'd be tempted to pack them well into my checked-in (hold) baggage, if the security people decide you can't take them airside you'll be up a creek without a paddle!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I have nothing useful to add (I know, right?!), but this all sounds very exciting. Living life to its fullest eh Mr JRB? :) Good luck!

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I'd have thought so but to be safe I'd check with the airline. I think I'd be tempted to pack them well into my checked-in (hold) baggage, if the security people decide you can't take them airside you'll be up a creek without a paddle!

Well it wouldn't be the first time! :D

I have nothing useful to add (I know, right?!), but this all sounds very exciting. Living life to its fullest eh Mr JRB? :) Good luck!

Absolutely! The scare of last year made me realise it's high time I went on some adventures! :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
So, I'm having a new plan! Strip the HDDs and sell the PC. I think if I chuck everything in I reckon I can get about £900-950 for it on Gumtree or eBay or something! Then just buy a new PC in Oz - or parts at least. I think it will be easier... the £ is pretty strong over there.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I've heard a lot of tech is really expensive out there though, due to import taxes and such. Even more than here.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't know how you're getting to Oz but if you're going through Singapore I'd see about getting a PC there. You have to be careful because the place is full of rip-off merchants for everything, but you know more than enough to ensure that what's going in your PC is kosher. I've no idea whether Australia would impose duty and/or tax on it when you brought it in however.....

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hello everyone!

Well, a year later after abandoning my pc in the UK, I finally have a laptop out here in Aus.

Clevo Prime-X P775DM2-G
UHD 60hz Display
i7-7700k
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD
2 x 1TB Caviar Black
GTX 1080
32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM

It does a big wee over the specs in my sig. Wanted to buy from PCS but for some reason they don't ship to Aus!!! Also not sure I would have wanted to have risked it :p

Anyway. I HAVE BEEN ON SO MANY ADVENTURES :D

Hope you're all well!

Last edited: