Anything I can do about fan noise of the PCS SPECTRUM RGB MID TOWER case?

Paperface

Just got my machine (next-day prebuilt setup, with a i7 and 2700 super) and not sure if I should keep it, or (if possible) return it.

The problem is the noise, it's roughly twice as loud as my previous machine with a similar fan setup, and I'm not really sure why or what (if anything) I can do about it.

So the case is the "PCS SPECTRUM RGB MID TOWER CASE" which has three large intake fans at the front, an one exhaust at the back. The build also came with the PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler, which I figured would mean it's pretty quiet and I presumed would be mounted to the top as the case has vents etc there.

But the three intake fans are not connected to the motherboard so just run at a constant high-speed, and the dual fans for the CPU liquid cooler are mounted vertically directly behind the three intake fans, so it's 3 intake fans blowing directly into 2 CPU fans, and at a constant high speed I can't set a curve for. As you can imagine, the system runs incredibly cool - but it also sounds like I have a big old fan 2 feet away from me at all times, even when just casually browsing.

So I guess my questions (and thanks in advance for any answers) are
1.) Is it right that these fans are just going at a constant speed?
2.) Is there a reason they mounted the liquid cooling fans behind them and not to the top of the machine?
3.) Any tips to make it less loud that won't void the warranty?

Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just got my machine (next-day prebuilt setup, with a i7 and 2700 super) and not sure if I should keep it, or (if possible) return it.

The problem is the noise, it's roughly twice as loud as my previous machine with a similar fan setup, and I'm not really sure why or what (if anything) I can do about it.

So the case is the "PCS SPECTRUM RGB MID TOWER CASE" which has three large intake fans at the front, an one exhaust at the back. The build also came with the PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler, which I figured would mean it's pretty quiet and I presumed would be mounted to the top as the case has vents etc there.

But the three intake fans are not connected to the motherboard so just run at a constant high-speed, and the dual fans for the CPU liquid cooler are mounted vertically directly behind the three intake fans, so it's 3 intake fans blowing directly into 2 CPU fans, and at a constant high speed I can't set a curve for. As you can imagine, the system runs incredibly cool - but it also sounds like I have a big old fan 2 feet away from me at all times, even when just casually browsing.

So I guess my questions (and thanks in advance for any answers) are
1.) Is it right that these fans are just going at a constant speed?
2.) Is there a reason they mounted the liquid cooling fans behind them and not to the top of the machine?
3.) Any tips to make it less loud that won't void the warranty?

Thanks!
It's a very budget case and wouldn't have been recommended if you'd asked for advice.

The fans aren't PWM so aren't variable speed, they just run at a constant speed as are directly powered by the PSU.

You could mount the radiator in the top of the case without affecting warranty if you wanted to.

Paperface

It's a very budget case and wouldn't have been recommended if you'd asked for advice.

Damn, was one of their next-day builds (£1600) so figured it would be fairly well balanced. Gutted to hear it's a cheap case, which I guess explains the noise.

Thanks for the reply.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Damn, was one of their next-day builds (£1600) so figured it would be fairly well balanced. Gutted to hear it's a cheap case, which I guess explains the noise.

Thanks for the reply.
That’s ok.

what you could do (I imagine) is replace the stock fans on the case with some decent ones like Corsair ML’s or LL’s. They’re amazing fans, ML stands for “magnetic levitation”, the fan literally rides on air just held in by magnets so they’re crazy quiet. They’re RGB as well if that floats your boat.

they usually come in packs of three and they’re full PWM fans so would plug into the motherboard and controlled by software called iCue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That’s assuming the case fans are 120mm fans, they may be 140mm in which case you can get fans at that size also.

Just double check they’re easy enough to remove the existing fans, usually it’s just a screw in each corner.

Paperface

Thanks, I appreciate the links - added them to my wishlist for when they come in stock.

I'll need to check swapping the fans would void the warranty, I'd also have to remove and re-attach the PCS FrostFlow liquid cooler which I'm a bit nervous about. It's all a bit depressing, it's called an RGB case but isn't really RGB at all (at least not what I understood RGB to mean); I can't even programmatically turn the lights off on the thing so it's very loud and very bright.

I'll sleep on your suggestion and see how I feel in the morning, But I'll probably just return it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
TBH I would return it. You're never going to be fully happy and IMO it's nuts to start messing about when you have the option to return it.

Then ask on here to be sure you get the best value for money in the replacement. [emoji846]

Via Tapatalk

Paperface

Thanks for the replies.

Packed it all backup, and shot them an e-mail about returning it. I'm a first-time PCS customer so wonder how this will work. On the bright side, I found out about the forums, and will need to buy a few more PC's in the next few months so hopefully, I can spec up and order some other PCS systems (... with nice cases!).

Never actually returned a PC before, I'm not usually fussy - but this case sounds like a deskfan on top of a microwave, I wonder if there is something up with it as the fans don't even seem to spin perfectly on their axis and bob up and down as they spin around.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the replies.

Packed it all backup, and shot them an e-mail about returning it. I'm a first-time PCS customer so wonder how this will work. On the bright side, I found out about the forums, and will need to buy a few more PC's in the next few months so hopefully, I can spec up and order some other PCS systems (... with nice cases!).

Never actually returned a PC before, I'm not usually fussy - but this case sounds like a deskfan on top of a microwave, I wonder if there is something up with it as the fans don't even seem to spin perfectly on their axis and bob up and down as they spin around.
I think you have little to worry about. The Terms & Conditions cover returns, the key point is that you must inform PCS first by a 'durable' means (email, letter) and quote your order number.

baltej777

The fans aren't PWM so aren't variable speed, they just run at a constant speed as are directly powered by the PSU.

You could mount the radiator in the top of the case without affecting warranty if you wanted to.
The fans on the case are actually PWM controlled providing your motherboard also has the port to accept PWM for the fans. Can you post the full spec including the motherboard?

GaryClark670

why wouldn't it be recommended? airflow is awsome, compared to a lot of cases the airflow is one of the best.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
why wouldn't it be recommended? airflow is awsome, compared to a lot of cases the airflow is one of the best.
Considering it hasn't been sold for sometime I'm assuming you have it. It's not a good case, for airflow it was very restricted. For anything over an extremely entry level system, you would need a better case. For perhaps an extra £10er you could have got a different case designed for airflow rather than looks.

GaryClark670

The airflow is restricted?, its fully opened at the front, with 3 fans pulling air in. You say hasn't been sold for sometime, yet i recently had it with a build? Extremely entry level?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
if it suits you for your purposes that’s great, but it’s not a case I would ever recommend. For around the same money (slightly more) you get significantly better thermal performance.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The airflow is restricted?, its fully opened at the front, with 3 fans pulling air in. You say hasn't been sold for sometime, yet i recently had it with a build? Extremely entry level?

I've edited your post, please refrain from using profanity.

Can I ask if you only signed up to weigh in on a thread from June 2020? Seems a strange thing to do. I understand that you are free to do as you wish but to come on only to argue and use profanity isn't called for.

MORR_420

I’ve just put in a build and I have selected this case without realising the airflow problems. Is there any case that’s more recommended for airflow as close to the same price as can be?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’ve just put in a build and I have selected this case without realising the airflow problems. Is there any case that’s more recommended for airflow as close to the same price as can be?
If you create your own thread, the case all depends on the components, so the whole build has to balance, it's not a case that you can select any component you like, they all inter relate.