Anything I should note?

tomhar910

I'm looking to get a new gaming PC, as mines kinda dated now. It will be used 80% for gaming, 15% for watching/streaming TV/films, and 5% for programming.
It will be running on a 55" 4K TV.

Is there anything you'd recommend adding/changing? Note I have my own SSD and HDD's I'll be putting in, and I have 2 16GB sticks of RAM to put in myself too.

Case
COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX TITAN X - DVI, HDMI, 3 X DP
1st Hard Disk
500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H55 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans
2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Windows 10 Upgrade
FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
DVD Recovery Media
NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Quantity

Utilize

Enthusiast
I'd drop the Titan X, the 980 Ti performs to about 95-100% of the Titan X yet it's £100s cheaper. I'd also drop the H55 cooler and go for the triple copper heatpipe or the CoolerMaster 212 EVO since it looks like you won't be overclocking your CPU. You won't need 32GB RAM for what you want to do, 16GB will be more than enough so I'd order 2GB RAM and put your own sticks in - although check with PCS as this might go against your warranty, the same goes for the SSD and HDD's. Speaking of warranty, a silver warranty for such a high end build like this would be better. By now you've probably saved a lot of money - I'd put this into a Z97-E which will give you an extra PCI-e slot and a bigger power supply (I think 1000W will be fine) for future upgrades. Or you could even opt for dual GTX 980 Ti's now if your budget would allow it.

tomhar910

One thing I'd like this rig to do, is run GTA maxed, which I've heard needs around 11GB of GFX memory. Would the 980ti still be able to do that? I've just emailed the guys asking about the warranty, so I'll see what they come back with.

Last edited:

Utilize

Enthusiast
One thing I'd like this rig to do, is run GTA maxed, which I've heard needs around 11GB of GFX memory. Would the 980ti still be able to do that? I've just emailed the guys asking about the warranty, so I'll see what they come back with.

I'm 99% sure it doesn't use 11GB, even at 4K maxed settings. I'll test it tomorrow though.

Spuff

Expert

The 980ti has 6GB of VRAM.
But with one GPU of any model you will not be able to max GTA at 4k without running at a frame rate that will be undesirable for GTA. I would be turning some settings down or keeping them off (you probably won't need any of the anti-aliasing options) and as such the VRAM demand will be less. How much less I don't know.
Also, I find I prefer the resulting look of not having some of the settings at max, so you may not want to max them all even if you comfortably can.

Like almost all benchmarks comparing the Titan and 980ti, GTA seems to perform almost identically on both GPUs:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/13

Last edited:

tomhar910

Ahh fair enough, so to max it I'd need to SLI? That's interesting that there's is such I little different between the 980ti and the titan. I've changed the card on my quote now to the ti, and I'm just waiting to here back about the warranty

Utilize

Enthusiast
Ahh fair enough, so to max it I'd need to SLI? That's interesting that there's is such I little different between the 980ti and the titan. I've changed the card on my quote now to the ti, and I'm just waiting to here back about the warranty

The only point now in the Titan X is for people to show off about it :p

tomhar910

The only point now in the Titan X is for people to show off about it :p

Not gonna lie, a little bit of getting that card was that :p just to say that I have one. But at some point logic does come in, if it's not that much better, and £100's more, it's not worth it.

Utilize

Enthusiast
Not gonna lie, a little bit of getting that card was that :p just to say that I have one. But at some point logic does come in, if it's not that much better, and £100's more, it's not worth it.

Indeed. It's only really worth it if you're going for a three or four way SLI and you literally have an unlimited budget.