Apple September Announcement 10th live blog

Kalisnoir

Super Star
For anyone interested you can catch a live blog from techcrunch here or fron Engadget here

I'm viewing both, Engadgets is a lot quicker and shorter whereas TC's is slower but covering more precisely. There isn't a live-stream unfortunately.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Although I'm an apple hater, I think they did a better job of innovating this year than for the iPhone 5. Although I'd never use finger scanning tech, especially with a company known for having links with the government. Same with Google

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I think the point with the finger print stuff is that others have already done it, so it is hardly innovative.

But the biggest LOL has to be the "budget" 5C...budget? Reportedly £450? Budget?! :D

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I wasn't that impressed either, the screen resolution was a surprise i thought they would have gone 1080 or 720 at least, they keep going on about Retina Display which everyone at my work is praising it for but its resulution and pixel density is less than a lot of top end phones out there or am i missing a trick?

Yamikotai

Expert
It's a reasonably nice jump, the iP5S. Better than iPhone 4 -> 4S. Still doesn't make me want one.

they keep going on about Retina Display which everyone at my work is praising it for but its resulution and pixel density is less than a lot of top end phones out there or am i missing a trick?

The iPhones 4, 4S, 5, and 5S have 326PPI, which is more than good enough. In comparison, the HTC One has 468PPI (4.7", 1080p), but anything over 300 is plenty. For Apple, adding anything more would be silly.

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
Couldn't agree more with you Yamikotai. I know people want tablet functionality from a mobile phone but in my opinion it's simply wrong. I want mobile phones to remain "mobile". I want to comfortably wear them in my pocket. Reason I don't use any phone case is because it was making it just a tad too big. If people need HD screens and 32 cores so they can play games or what not... simply get a tablet.

Haven't look into these new iPhones yet... however my contract runs out in a month so may just treat myself as long as it won't increase my contract!

On a side note, improvement in screen quality from iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 was tremendous! But when compared screen between iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 .. could barely see any improvement.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
If my nexus 7 could be used as a phone i would just carry that about. I rarely ever use my phone as a telephone i use it as an internet window and a messaging device. I have the note 2 at the moment and not sure if i would go for a smaller screen. I would switch to a tablet but you never know when you'll take the odd call. Saying that i think asus have the phone pad where the phone just slides into the tablet and you get the best of both worlds i guess.

mishra

Rising Star
Crikey you cannot possible be serious about putting Nexus 7 in your pocket? I mean I know you can have an extra bag or a pouch. But would you want to carry that every time you go to pub, party, cinema or even shopping?

Yamikotai

Expert
Crikey you cannot possible be serious about putting Nexus 7 in your pocket? I mean I know you can have an extra bag or a pouch. But would you want to carry that every time you go to pub, party, cinema or even shopping?
Well yeah it fits in all the trousers I own, even smart trousers etc. It's not as big as you'd think.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level

Fits in my side pockets or my back pocket sticking out a bit but no problem at all.keep it in the side pocket of my work jacket too at work

mishra

Rising Star
Fair enough. I was after a tablet at some point but not being able to use it as phone meant I had to carry 2 devices. Then getting one of the bigger phones (tablet like) meant I'm gonna be tied to a brick. So it's a no-win situation for me. Unless, until they figure out transformers-like expand-ability... and hey that would be amazing innovation if you ask me!

mishra

Rising Star
heh this is children friendly forum and also it's way off topic so will not elaborate on this. peace :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Just going back to the screen resolution comments, although I appreciate there probably isn't a huge difference over 300ppi, surely there must be some difference? Just in overall quality of the image. Surely it's the same as the 60hz v 120hz debate? As in yes the human eye may not be able to pinpoint the difference between 60fps and 120fps, but it is noticeably smoother once you experience it and some would say it is worth the extra money to own a 120hz screen. Surely putting a 300ppi phone next to a 4xxppi phone would show a noticeable difference between the two screens?

This is just me speculating of course, but for a premium price I would be expecting the most premium technology. I could understand if they charged similar to android phones, but they don't... And on a hardware level they always look like they're lacking (on paper).

I've really been thinking about getting an iphone when I upgrade as I've always had android but they really don't make it easy to make the decision... I see no benefits to spending that extra money for a product that on paper looks quite poor. I think in a comparison I read the iphone5 had something like 3 times less processing power than a HTC One. Now I'm not a mobile gamer, but surely that processing power counts for something in general tasks?!

The only thing drawing me towards an iphone at the moment is the fact they seem pretty snappy to use and the fact they seem to perform well over time whereas my Galaxy S2 frequently crashes and freezes even just doing something as simple as texting and it's barely 2 years old! I don't even think an iphone would be much better though, all apple users use the old "yea but an apple product will perform identically in 10 years time as it was when it was new". Okay... well my old Ipod Touch is barely usable now as it's so slow and even just playing music on it is a struggle at times... Plus my mates Mac Mini is one of the slowest things I've ever seen... Where do apple users get this misconception from that their products are everlasting?! Do they not realise that hardware and requirements move on quickly?!

Yamikotai

Expert
Surely putting a 300ppi phone next to a 4xxppi phone would show a noticeable difference between the two screens?
Not really :p If you looked very closely around curved text (the letter "G" for example) you miiight be able to see some pixelation around it at 300ppi, but even then there's little difference. The quality of the screen regarding colour reproduction, how the sub-pixelation is handled, and a dozen other things are going to make much more apparent difference.

Now I'm not a mobile gamer, but surely that processing power counts for something in general tasks?!
This is dependent on your use-case; in my case, which is just Reddit/Facebook/IM/comms, that can all be handled easily by a Galaxy S1 on Jelly Bean. Where the extra processing power comes in with my S3 (comparison: S1 has a 1GHz single-core, S3 has as 1.4GHz quad-core, and each core is also faster clock-for-clock) is in app load times, app render times, and user interface smoothing. Otherwise from a processing standpoint the experience is identical. Of course if your use case involves lots of 3D gaming, then more is always better.

Last edited: