Application or game performance on different disks?

andmil72

Is there any significant difference in performance for either games or other office applications if they are installed on the same hard disk as Windows, or if they installed on a second hard disk without the op system?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In short, no. Office applications are generally all loaded into RAM on start anyway, I don't know about games because I don't game. In any case, any potential performance differences by having applications on a different hard drive to Windows will so small as not to be measurable, assuming of course that both disks have the same spindle speed and are optimised and defragged and not overly full.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Office applications, not really. Some software would benefit from being on a separate drive to the OS but not office software. The same goes for games really, generally they are going to load just as quickly. The only time I would advise a separate drive would be if you intended to record your gameplay via software such a fraps or anything similar . That can be throwing a huge amount of data at your HDD and could throw off some games that require data to be constantly fetched from the HDD.

The same isn't true for SSD's because they're probably fast enough to cope with whatever you want and they don't work in the same was as HDD. They can fetch data from one location just as quickly as anywhere else, unlike a HDD who has to hysically move the read heads to over the location on the platter.