APU at 4.09Ghz max when heavy loaded?

phikaro

My A8-6600K APU never gets over 4.09Ghz when is fully loaded at 100% looking at task manager. And in cpu-world specs it shows that it should be with turbo boost 4.20Ghz max.

Full PC specs:

MB: FM2A55M-VG3 UEFI
APU: A8-6600K
RAM: 4gb + 2gb (6gb) 1600Mhz GEIL
HDD: SG 500GB 7200RPM
GPU: iGPU 8570D 2GB DDR3 shared
Power Supply: 500W Cooler Master
Latest catalyst drivers installed 15.7.1

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A8-Series A8-6600K - AD660KWOA44HL.html

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Normally the stated turbo frequency is the maximum boost on a single core, just standard marketing foolery. Though modern chips will only reach the maximum turbo clock if various other parameters are within the limit, so things like temperature could hold it back a bit if you have a cheap case or a basic cpu cooler.

phikaro

So that's how it is, thanks for your time of explaining this thing to me, was starting to think I'm not doing something right. =)
I do use a standard CPU cooler, that might be the reason and during summer my APU is getting like 60-65 C at full load.

Rakk

The Awesome
So that's how it is, thanks for your time of explaining this thing to me, was starting to think I'm not doing something right. =)
I do use a standard CPU cooler, that might be the reason and during summer my APU is getting like 60-65 C at full load.

Presuming the AMD Turbo works like the Intel Turbo, it also depends on how many cores you are using, so if you are only using 1 core you will get a higher turbo than if you are using 4 (or however many your CPU has)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
65 is pretty good. I think they are rated for a max of something like 75 for APU's so that's certainly not the problem.

Like Rakk pointed out and continuing on from my previous post everything seems normal given that the turbo isn't a guarantee its just a maximum it can do.

phikaro

Well I'm using Autodesk Maya 2016 and when rendering heavy scenes it makes my CPU go at around 80%-100% usage, and I see in task manager that it goes up to 4.06Ghz ~ 4.09Ghz, does Maya use only one of its four cores? I haven't used any other application that could get my CPU usage go up to 100%. Games like dragon age inquisition and mass effect 3 barely make 50%-60% usage of my CPU.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It will only run at 4.2 Ghz when its using a single core to do the test in all probability.

Configure the test so it only runs on 1 core. I don't remember exactly as I don't have prime 95 installed atm but go to the test page and change the number of torture test threads from 4 to 1 (might be 0 but I have brain freeze atm and I cant think, I don't remember if you need to tell it which core to run on or how many thread) anyway try 1 and 0 and one will work.