Are sound cards worth getting?

spm1994

Specifically what are you getting that you wouldn't get from a normal built in sound card, would it also help with sound recording and voice clarity through things such as Skype or teamspeak.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I use a dedicated sound card for recording,mainly from a guitar and there is a big improvement over the onboard sound card.I know most people here say onboard is fine for most users, but I find it a bit flat and lifeless compared to a half decent dedicated sound card which also has more options & features.Also if using high end speakers onboard won't use them to their full potential.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I agree with vanthus, onboard is ok, but nothing special.

But firstly, what are you planning do with you system? what sound system do you have? What headset/mic do you have? If ya use one that is.

A good soundcard will allow your system to output games/media/movies in 5.1 Dolby Digital. Although the onboard sound can output DVD's in DD 5.1, that's only because DD 5.1 is already recorded onto the disk, however, the onboard sound can not output DD 5.1 from games/movies and other media, purely because it cant. So if you have a ( or plan to get ) a high end 5.1 digital speaker system/digital 5.1 gaming headset I'd certainly invest in a soundcard. DD 5.1 in games is flipping fantastic and a massive step up from onboard or pro logic II - (kinda like pretend surround sound lol)

I bought a ASUS DX (pci-e) for 50 quid and its perfect does everything us picky gamers want. You could also get a creative recon 3d card, they are on offer at the moment I believe. So that's a good choice! Go for the cheaper version though, they are all the same cards with different design shells. ALSO make sure you get the new recon 3d version, not the old titanium version.

A good digital soundcard will output - edit ignore this sentence, lol dont know what happened here....

Last edited:

deh-cheesekake

Bronze Level Poster
On the topic of sound cards, the new PC I got from here with the on board sound card is less powerful than the one in my old 1.8GHz hp laptop. When playing games that have a lot of indivitual sounds in it will stutter as it cannot take them all. The volume also loops when it laggs against the graphics. Because of this I would recomend going for one of the dedicated sound cards. I have checked for the drivers and they are up to date

Zynced

Bronze Level Poster
I agree with vanthus, onboard is ok, but nothing special.

But firstly, what are you planning do with you system? what sound system do you have? What headset/mic do you have? If ya use one that is.

A good soundcard will allow your system to output games/media/movies in 5.1 Dolby Digital. Although the onboard sound can output DVD's in DD 5.1, that's only because DD 5.1 is already recorded onto the disk, however, the onboard sound can not output DD 5.1 from games/movies and other media, purely because it cant. So if you have a ( or plan to get ) a high end 5.1 digital speaker system/digital 5.1 gaming headset I'd certainly invest in a soundcard. DD 5.1 in games is flipping fantastic and a massive step up from onboard or pro logic II - (kinda like pretend surround sound lol)

I bought a ASUS DX (pci-e) for 50 quid and its perfect does everything us picky gamers want. You could also get a creative recon 3d card, they are on offer at the moment I believe. So that's a good choice! Go for the cheaper version though, they are all the same cards with different design shells. ALSO make sure you get the new recon 3d version, not the old titanium version.

A good digital soundcard will output - edit ignore this sentence, lol dont know what happened here....

I've also thought about a sound card, but it would be mainly for gaming so I didn't put to much thought into it.

I've recently purchased a computer for PCS (waiting on delivery, 6th working unbearable day gone! :sleep1:). I chose the P8Z77-V motherboard. I currently use the Astro A40 headset, which uses a 7.1 capable mixamp. I will connect this using an optical cable to the motherboard, hopefully getting a good 5.1 signal (what I assume most games on PC run with).

But looking at what you said, would the motherboard not be using the potential of my headset/mixamp when gaming? I am currently saving for another GTX670, but I didn't realise a sound card could make that much of a difference.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
@zynced

I think in your case, already have a beast of a gaming headset, its a easy question.

A quick google told me, that it is Dolby Digital 7.1 capable, therefore I'd definitely get a soundcard mate.

I have a ASUS DX - http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_DX/
Cost about 50 quid ish, does what it says on the tin :)

You could go for

- The standard Recon 3D card - http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/recon3d/PCIe/

- The Pro Recon 3D card - http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/recon3d/professional/ - Similar to the standard but a different shell.

- The Pro Pro version - http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/recon3d/champion/ - more than I'd pay lol,

There is probably a few other options for the ASUS cards, but personally i know these options work :)

Also remember its not the games that run with the 5.1 the sound card does the work. ( I think )

But I also think that it depends on what games you play, first person shooters and action games sounds great!

BestUsername

Bronze Level Poster
If you use headphones that only give sound in 2.1, does it make a difference?

I've never used a sound card so in what circumstances, and to what extent, do they make a difference?

Zynced

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks a lot Tom,

Finally having a gaming PC (been playing at a high FPS level on PS3/Xbox for about 2-3 years, then stopped about a year ago) I didn't think much of it - I just saw the motherboard being capable of 5.1 and thought job done! (Evidently I should of researched this a bit more...)

I might be getting back into some Promod CoD4, but I think the only FPS games I'm into nowadays would be BF3 and L4D2, but having the amazing sound of a jet flying past my ear might be to good to pass..

Thanks for all the recommendations, I will definitely be looking into this.

You guys sure are helpful around here! :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If you use headphones that only give sound in 2.1, does it make a difference?

I've never used a sound card so in what circumstances, and to what extent, do they make a difference?

Are you using just headphones? Is it for gaming? Music? Some cards are designed for music some for games -such as the recon 3d versions.

I think it may be a good idea to either
- Stick with onboard and see how you find it, if ya dont like it, then look into get a sound card, then you, like I did, see the benefit.
- You could go for a soundcard now, but again this depends on what ya actually plan to use the rig for.

Thanks a lot Tom,

I just saw the motherboard being capable of 5.1 and thought job done! (Evidently I should of researched this a bit more...)

I might be getting back into some Promod CoD4, but I think the only FPS games I'm into nowadays would be BF3 and L4D2, but having the amazing sound of a jet flying past my ear might be to good to pass..

I think the mobos are 5.1 capable, but this may mean by means of a analogue connection.

It certainly does sound alot better on bf3! turn it up nice and loud, then you can't hear the missus :)

spm1994

Well I'm planning on getting the Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio with the CREATIVE INSPIRE A520 5.1 SURROUND SPEAKER SYSTEM. In the near future ill be purchasing a Blue: snowball microphone for voice recording and teamspeak, I'll also be getting a Tritton AX720 for a headset for gaming and music. Once I get the computer I'll mostly be using it for music, movies and games such as shogun 2, arma 2 and wargame EE. Once I get all my equipment together however I will be recording videos so It is important to me that I get the right hardware with my computer.

BestUsername

Bronze Level Poster
Are you using just headphones? Is it for gaming? Music? Some cards are designed for music some for games -such as the recon 3d versions.

I think it may be a good idea to either
- Stick with onboard and see how you find it, if ya dont like it, then look into get a sound card, then you, like I did, see the benefit.
- You could go for a soundcard now, but again this depends on what ya actually plan to use the rig for.

Just for gaming, really.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Well I'm planning on getting the Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio with the CREATIVE INSPIRE A520 5.1 SURROUND SPEAKER SYSTEM. In the near future ill be purchasing a Blue: snowball microphone for voice recording and teamspeak, I'll also be getting a Tritton AX720 for a headset for gaming and music. Once I get the computer I'll mostly be using it for music, movies and games such as shogun 2, arma 2 and wargame EE. Once I get all my equipment together however I will be recording videos so It is important to me that I get the right hardware with my computer.

I'd probably go for ASUS DXG over the creative card, the ASUS dxg is a pretty new card, i think corfate has the Asus DG, from what I know he was/is impressed with it, I think he also used the tritton720 with it too.

Just for gaming, really.

Well you could get a soundcard, but personally I'd try the onboard audio first, see how you find it with your headphones, then if you want something more, see what you fancy going for.