Artifacting on 2D applications...

Gimmles

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all, returning poster here! Here are the PC Specs:-

Case: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX TD500 MESH RGB GAMING CASE
Processor: (CPU): AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard: ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive: 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

I am having some serious PC issues, with 2D applications flashing white/black and occasionally artifacting.
I recall seeing a few black artifacts on the top right of my desktop without a program open there, at least I *think* there wasn't anything open, but I'm really not sure. It seems bound to the windows of an application.
It's important to note that it does only seem to happen in 2D applications, they occasionally flash white or black and then artifact and then seem to return to normal after a while.

I randomly got a blue screen a few days ago, I think it mentioned something about a Kernel... @ubuysa maybe you could help?

Here are the system/application event viewer logs and the memory.dmp

EDIT:
It has started to happen in a game, seems to be slowly getting worse with time...

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I randomly got a blue screen a few days ago, I think it mentioned something about a Kernel... @ubuysa maybe you could help?
If you had a BSOD then there should be a kernel dump, it's the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp. There may also be one or more minidump, they're in the folder C:\Windows\Minidumps.

The kernel dump is the key one, only upload minidumps if there is no kernel dump.

Also upload your System and Application logs, see here for details.

polycrac

Rising Star
It looks a bit like the problems with the 2080TI, a while back but I've not heard of anything similar happening with the 3090.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The BSOD was a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR with an exception code of Machine Check. These are almost always fatal hardware errors.

I note that you have an AMD build with four 3600MHz RAM cards and this BSOD is something we've been seeing with these configurations. Indeed, the WHEA error record in the dump shows a BUSL1_SRC_IRD_I_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 15 Bank 1) error which is exactly the timing error we see with this four RAM card issue.

In the short term you can try running with just two RAM sticks, this seems to eliminate the problem in most cases (but not all). You can also try downclocking the RAM, most people find 3200MHz to be stable (but again, not all). You may need to experiment to find the frequency at which the RAM is stable.

In the longer term you need to call PCS and talk this through with them, they are well aware of this issue for some people.

I have no idea whether this is related you your graphics issue.

In the dump the driver in control at the time of the bug check was vgk.sys, this is a component of the Valorant Anti Cheat system and I've seen this cause problems before. I can also see Easy Anti Cheat drivers loaded, I've no idea whether these two can coexist well together.

I can also see that you're running the Premium or Pro version of Malwarebytes, which is fine, but there are many Windows Defender drivers loaded too. You don't want both Malwarebytes and Defender active at the same time, two antivirus engines active at the same time is known to cause issues, so make certain one of them is fully off.

It's also important to ensure you're running the latest AMD chipset drivers, use the AMD Driver Support Tool to ensure you have the latest ones.

In summary it seems you're suffering from the four 3600MHz RAM cards in an AMD build issue and I think you need to get that resolved or mitigated first. If you're still seeing graphics artefacts afterwards I would suggest you ensure you have the latest AMD chipset drivers and the latest NVIDIA graphics driver (use DDU to uninstall the existing driver).