"ASMedia USB Host Controller not found" after Windows reset

Freeley

Hi all

I noticed today that my Windows Defender was apparently not turned on properly and I couldn't do this manually due to "group policy" settings.
As I have the Home edition of Windows 10 there is no group policy editor so I couldn't do anything even after reading countless posts and watching youtube clips looking for guidance.

So in the end I did a reset which reinstalled windows whilst keeping my personal folders.

Now Defender is working fine again and everything seemed ok. But my USB host controller is not installed so the ports concerned don't seem to be working - my xbox wireless receiver is plugged into one of them and while it lights up there is no entry for it in device manager and the game controller is not working.

So i've tried manually installing the ASMedia USB driver (it's a windows 10 64 bit driver), but I get the message as in my thread heading.

Can anyone advise what I should do next? I fear it's going to be a full reinstall but was hoping to avoid that if possible.

Cheers.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

I noticed today that my Windows Defender was apparently not turned on properly and I couldn't do this manually due to "group policy" settings.
As I have the Home edition of Windows 10 there is no group policy editor so I couldn't do anything even after reading countless posts and watching youtube clips looking for guidance.

So in the end I did a reset which reinstalled windows whilst keeping my personal folders.

Now Defender is working fine again and everything seemed ok. But my USB host controller is not installed so the ports concerned don't seem to be working - my xbox wireless receiver is plugged into one of them and while it lights up there is no entry for it in device manager and the game controller is not working.

So i've tried manually installing the ASMedia USB driver (it's a windows 10 64 bit driver), but I get the message as in my thread heading.

Can anyone advise what I should do next? I fear it's going to be a full reinstall but was hoping to avoid that if possible.

Cheers.

Did you reinstall chipset drivers and others after reset? You'll need to I reckon.

Freeley

Thanks both of you.
I went to the ASUS website and navigated to my motherboard (the Rog Strix Z270E), strangely there are no USB drivers there that I can see for Windows 10 - only for windows 7 and 8.
I've tried the windows 8 drivers but they didn't work.

I also tried the chipset drivers disk that came with my PC but couldn't see any USB drivers on there either which is a bit odd.

I also did a windows update but that didn't help.

I'm still seeing some slightly strange behaviour as a couple of programs that I installed after the reset have magically disappeared, so I'm going to do a proper windows reinstall now i think.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks both of you.
I went to the ASUS website and navigated to my motherboard (the Rog Strix Z270E), strangely there are no USB drivers there that I can see for Windows 10 - only for windows 7 and 8.
I've tried the windows 8 drivers but they didn't work.

I also tried the chipset drivers disk that came with my PC but couldn't see any USB drivers on there either which is a bit odd.

I also did a windows update but that didn't help.

I'm still seeing some slightly strange behaviour as a couple of programs that I installed after the reset have magically disappeared, so I'm going to do a proper windows reinstall now i think.

The chipset drivers contain the usb drivers. Often on newer builds, windows won't be able to source the chipset drivers or the network drivers.

Freeley

I've just booted into the windows installation disk to try and reinstall but have got stuck on choosing which hard drive i want to install on - windows is currently installed to my Samsung PM961 SSD.
Judging by the free space this must be "Drive 2 Partition 3 : Windows" on the installation screen, but there is a message saying that Windows can't be installed to this drive/partition as the disk is of GPT partition style.
What should i do?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just booted into the windows installation disk to try and reinstall but have got stuck on choosing which hard drive i want to install on - windows is currently installed to my Samsung PM961 SSD.
Judging by the free space this must be "Drive 2 Partition 3 : Windows" on the installation screen, but there is a message saying that Windows can't be installed to this drive/partition as the disk is of GPT partition style.
What should i do?

You need to delete all the existing partitions on that drive (if that only had windows on it), then create a new partition utilising all the space and install on that. The GPT format means it will automatically create about 5 separate partitions of varying sizes.

Freeley

OK cheers I deleted all the partitions and did a clean install of windows.
Back up and running, had to install chipset drivers from the dvd as had no Internet.
Only problem I have is that I can't install the nvidia graphics card driver - windows update failed to install it, and can't install from nvidia website either, it keeps saying that the driver is not compatible with my version of Windows (10 64 bit).
Device manager is only listing Microsoft basic display adapter.
I've searched for answers online but seeing various conflicting tips.
Any idea what I should be doing to resolve this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK cheers I deleted all the partitions and did a clean install of windows.
Back up and running, had to install chipset drivers from the dvd as had no Internet.
Only problem I have is that I can't install the nvidia graphics card driver - windows update failed to install it, and can't install from nvidia website either, it keeps saying that the driver is not compatible with my version of Windows (10 64 bit).
Device manager is only listing Microsoft basic display adapter.
I've searched for answers online but seeing various conflicting tips.
Any idea what I should be doing to resolve this?

What graphics card do you have and which driver are you downloading, can you supply a link?

Freeley

Ok it's all sorted now - did some more research today and it was suggested to others with a similar problem that all that was required was to upgrade Windows 10 to the 1607 build ( I installed from the supplied DVD which was obviously an older version).
As it happens when I turned the PC on when I got home earlier, Windows Update was already downloading it so now that's installed the Nvidia drivers have installed as well so my display is back to normal.
Cheers for the help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok it's all sorted now - did some more research today and it was suggested to others with a similar problem that all that was required was to upgrade Windows 10 to the 1607 build ( I installed from the supplied DVD which was obviously an older version).
As it happens when I turned the PC on when I got home earlier, Windows Update was already downloading it so now that's installed the Nvidia drivers have installed as well so my display is back to normal.
Cheers for the help.

Ah, that makes sense, but hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks for feeding back, can imagine that cropping up with a few people if restoring from their supplied media.

Freeley

I thought I'd learnt this lesson when restoring my previous pc but I obviously forgot about it.
I downloaded an upto date copy of Windows 10 earlier today as well and put it on a bootable USB stick but didn't need it in the end as it sorted itself out.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks in the end that was exactly the solution! Shame it wouldn't do it last night.

I'm glad it's sorted, but in all honesty I was expecting Windows Update to find your chipset driver. That it found a Windows upgrade that sorted your problem was fortuitous but I can't claim that this was my intent. :)

All's well that ends well....