ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING motherboard additional RAM issues

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I have 2x 16gb VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz sticks installed and recently I got another 2x of the same.

When I add the 2 new RAM sticks the board does not recognise the RAM, I get the red light and all the beeps to confirm that RAM is not recognised by the motherboard.

I remove the new sticks, leave the 2x initial ones (in the slots as the board came from PCS) but the board still gives me the same error. It doesnt recognise the RAM of the initial setup at all.

To manage to get a decent boot, I have to leave only one stick in A2 or B2 board slot, dont remember which one, it is the one in the end (one of the light grey ones which are the first that have to be populated).

Then the motherboard BIOS will load, I make no changes to it, save and shut down and windows load just fine but with only 16gb or RAM.

I shut down, turn the PSU off and then I can add one more stick, in the last grey slot. Then my PC boots up fine as normal, with 32 gb or RAM.

I add the other 2x sticks and again, computer says no and I have to repeat the same dance as above, i.e. boot up with only one stick and then add the second one.

Any ideas?

thanks all

C

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You may just be unfortunate with the matching of the RAM. It's quite important that all the RAM is configured at the same time, and equally as important that it's the same spec/timing/etc.

The easiest way to make sure things are working as they should is to turn off any XMP/AMP profile in the BIOS. To do this, simply get the syste in a working position and make sure the option is off.

Once you have got to this point, switch the PC off and connect all 4 sticks of RAM before switching on. Ensure the system is stable.

Reboot, return to the BIOS and switch the XMP/AMP profile on. This should re-configure your RAM timing to the 1st OC position (the advertised speed/timing).

If you have any issues after saving/rebooting then it's possibly a conflict between the RAM packages.

It could be the BIOS needing an update though, depending on the BIOS version. There are always RAM/Timing issues on early releases, it takes a while for the RAM to be readily available at the higher end of the spec to eek out these gremlins.

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
@Scott thanks man for the response.

So let me see if I got it right:

Check to see that the sticks received recently are the same as the ones with the PCS build from last year.
  1. Go to BIOS
  2. See if XMP Profile is on to begin with
  3. Check BIOS version
  4. Update BIOS - does this has the potential to make my system unstable for whatever reason? or shall I skip and go to 5 straight away.
  5. If XMP profile is on, turn it off. Save and continue. Hopefully it will load to Windows.
  6. Shut down
  7. Add the other two sticks
  8. Boot up, go to BIOS
  9. Turn XMP profile on
  10. Save and continue
  11. Hopefully it will load to windows...

Steps 1-6 will be basically done with the configuration as received from PCS, the 2x initial sticks.

Steps 7(duh) onwards will be to synchronise I guess? all the sticks (new and old) together.

My only worry is what happens if the system starts playing up and I end up with a machine that doesn't even go to BIOS anymore. When I had the issues with just adding the other sticks, I reverted back to the initial set up and got a working machine. Now if I start findling with the XMP profiles, not sure if that has the potential to mess things up.

Never did it cross my mind that installing additional RAM sticks could potentially require the installation service box to be ticked when ordering!

thanks for your time, much appreciated.

C

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You can't update the BIOS without contacting PCS first. It can void your warranty, especially important if anything goes wrong. If you give them a ring they will normally take you through the process, following which will keep your warranty intact. The long and short of it is that they don't mind people updating the BIOS but it needs to be done correctly as it can have catastrophic implications. It's far simpler to just make it a warranty requirement so that things are done right :)

Otherwise:

1. Get the system running using the processes you know work.
2. Enter the BIOS and remove the XMP profile.
3. Reboot, ensure you can get into windows and all appears OK.
4. Switch off the system and add the new sticks of RAM, making 4 slots filled.
5. Boot the system, ensure you can get into windows and all appears OK.
6. If all is good, continue. If it doesn't work, see alternative.
7. Reboot into BIOS
8. Switch on XMP profile 1
9. Reboot, ensure you can get into windows and all appears OK.
10. If all is good, you're done. If not, see alternative 2.

Alternative1:
Firstly, lets see if the RAM you have bought is running OK. Get the system running as previous only using the new RAM only. If the system works fine with the new RAM and you can turn on the XMP with only the new RAM installed. Then this proves that the RAM itself is OK and there's a conflict with either the RAM or the BIOS.
Next step, contact PCS and ask them to check the BIOS revision with you. If it needs updated, update it. Retry the method above.

Alternative2:
This would suggest that the timing & frequency is too tight to be used across the 4 channels. This has happened in the past due to BIOS revisions. First thing to do is manually lower the frequency of the RAM (if it's 3260mhz RAM, set it to 3200Mhz). If this works, it's either down to hardware differences or the BIOS. Contact PCS to go through the BIOS then repeat the testing.

From the above you should be able to narrow down exactly what the conflict is.

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
..."if not done correctly it can have catastrophic implications".. I am so glad I asked!

sounds like I have to clear off a few hours to do this properly and ideally during times that PCS is open and can take my calls.

Honestly I thought I'll order these in, flick the RAM latches, pop em in and Robert is your mother's brother...

Thanks for the info man, very much appreciated.

c

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It probably would be if it was a set of 4. Unfortunately RAM is made in matched pairs. You can sometimes get issues across the channels.

It could be as simple as the BIOS though. PCS will know straight away with the BIOS number.