Asus Maximus IV Extreme-z ethernet & sound card issues

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
2 Days ago I got a message about my sound card stopped working but it went away too fast for me to read it and I can't find it anywhere now. Now my headset doesn't work, I'm using my monitor's speakers through HDMI.

and now today my ethernet ports stopped working so i'm stuck to using wireless

anybody know how I fix this? or whats causing it?

ASUS® MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z: INTEL Z68 ROG

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Open up device manager and expand the sound menu.

What does it say in that? Any yellow triangles? Any unknown devices listed at all?

Even if all looks well in their I would hop onto the ASUS site and grab the sound drivers, go back to your device manager and uninstall the drivers. Restart the system and install the new drivers.

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
Open up device manager and expand the sound menu.

What does it say in that? Any yellow triangles? Any unknown devices listed at all?

Even if all looks well in their I would hop onto the ASUS site and grab the sound drivers, go back to your device manager and uninstall the drivers. Restart the system and install the new drivers.

They are all nvidia high definition audio, except one which is, nvidia virtual audio device.

as for the network there is no ethernet adapter listed.

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
Are you able to do a system restore to a point when they were known working?

No they are all from yesterday when I tried downloading drivers.

EDIT: I went into the bios and found that all the devices have been shutoff, I turned them back on and now the sound card works, but the ethernet ports are still offline.

EDIT2: Ethernet ports appear in Device Manager with yellow triangles on them, updated driver and now it works.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
very odd that they would switch themselves off in the bios, very odd indeed.

That would have been the last placed id have looked in all honesty, very strange indeed. Glad it working anyway, hope it stays that way.

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
very odd that they would switch themselves off in the bios, very odd indeed.

That would have been the last placed id have looked in all honesty, very strange indeed. Glad it working anyway, hope it stays that way.

Yeah for some reason my bios have been acting weird, 2 weeks ago my overclock reset itself now this, maybe motherboard battery dying..

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yeah could be that, worth changing it out to be on the safe side. Keep an eye out for anything else, could be a symptom of an underlying problem.