Asus Maximus IV Unable to get into the BIOS

Tracker

Enthusiast
I've recently noticed my pc is taking a long time to start up, often hanging on the "Marvell adapter" screen for minutes as opposed to a second or two, but i'm no longer able to get into the bios.

usually it asks to hit the DEL key just after the marvel screen, before going into the bios however if you try and push the DEL key the computer just hangs completely, the MOBO quotes "62" on the readout. The machine will boot (eventually, after several minutes) if you leave it to boot without touching anything.

i think the boot settings must be out, is there any way i can reset the BIOS to default or such so that i can get back in? I'm able to get into windows normally, just can't get to the bios.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Not too sure about that error message, but you will have to clear your CMOS by using the jumper on the motherboard or by removing the CMOS battery (like a watch battery on the motherboard) for a short while. This will reset your Bios to defaults which may work in itself, and will also allow you to enter the bios or reflash to the latest version. Should hopefully sort this out. There are plenty of guides online to do it; main thing is unplug the system and leave it off for a while when you remove the battery, then plug it all back in.
I'd say after resetting bios, if it doesnt work try unplugging everything besides mem, psu and gpu and see if you can get in to the BIOS first of all. You will have to begin the process of elimination of trying to change RAM sticks etc. if nothing seems to work; but as you can get into Windows then I dont think much is wrong. Try a standard keyboard to boot if using a gaming version just in case. :) Good luck. If you have no luck and dont fancy unplugging various things give pcs a call. As you have said it boots into windows normally then I would have thought the first option would be the solution, but try a different keyboard too to be sure this is not an issue.

No problems gaming or anything like that on it?

Tracker

Enthusiast
No issues at all once it's booted up, which is whats confusing! I have noticed that the UEFI bios dislikes my current mouse and refuses to give me vertical mouse control (but lateral working fine) but i've just navigated via keyborad shortcuts, it's been happy enough with my setup right up until i fiddled with boot settings (as i'd had to swap between two windows installations on various hdd's and a USB Linux OS in order to flash new firmware to my ailing SSD, to fix a problem i'd been having) which is why i think the bios has a bad setting somewhere, as after fiddling with boot settings ad infinitum, i tried using the ez mode to set up the boot priorities and settings, which is where i think the problem lies.

Unless the jumper is a switch (which i've seen on some boards but not sure if it's on this one) I'll give removing the battery a go tonight, once i get into the bios i can update the firmware on it anyway.

~Ed,
well, cleared CMOS using the clear button at the top, flashed the bios, had bit of a "hair on end" moment when it cycled power, got to splash screen, stated "updating iROG firmware" then rebooted, cycling through this several times, but it must've just been updating alot, set up boot order and the whole thing works a treat, the bios still seems to hate my mmo mouse but the keybord does it fine enough anyway x3

ty for your help.

Last edited:

mab33

...I have noticed that the UEFI bios dislikes my current mouse and refuses to give me vertical mouse control (but lateral working fine) but i've just navigated via keyborad shortcuts, it's been happy enough with my setup right up until i fiddled with boot settings (as i'd had to swap between two windows installations on various hdd's and a USB Linux OS

I'm interested that you are able to boot Linux on a UEFI motherboard/BIOS, as - as far as I know - there is no Linux distro yet that will boot on a UEFI machine that has Secure Boot enabled.
So far I've been unable to get a positive answer to the question "Do your UEFI PC's provide an option to disable the UEFI Secure Boot feature (so that I can boot Linux).
(Windows 8 will be 'UEFI ready' so will boot with Secure Boot enabled.)

I did see this encouraging report recently:

Just got an ASUS P8Z77V-PRO with a UEFI bios. In the bios setup the
factory default is UEFI/Legacy both enabled. The other two options are
disable UEFI or disable Legacy. So if you build your own pc you may still
have an easy out for UEFI, if you get a prebuilt window8 machine you may
have more of an issue. My new system multiboots w7, mythbuntu 12.04, and
mint maya okay, no issues, yet.

I have to suspect that "disabeing UEFI" means "disabling Secure Boot", though.