ASUS Realtek Audio ALC898 HD Audio Manager Control Panel

Hazbell

Hello everyone,

As you may (or may not) know, this is what the Realtek HD Audio Manager looks like (I got the Control Panel image off the internet):

0BnBs.jpg

However, on my ASUS motherboard, this is what the Realtek HD Audio Manager looks like (Print Screen of my current Control Panel):

arthdcp.png

Click on the images to show them full size

When you install the drivers, it detects what Codec and Motherboard your system has and installs the correct components for them. As I have an ASUS motherboard and a more high-end Onboard codec, it seems to also install a Skinned version of the HD Control Panel with ASUS branding on it.

Although I personally think the design compared to the Generic HD control panel is bad, it's not that much of an issue, but I've also noticed when closing the HD Control Panel, the process continues to run in the background with no way to stop it, unless you kill it via Task Manager which is annoying. The process isn't needed for anything else to function correctly and it doesn't start until you open the HD Control Panel, it's just that closing it seems to hide it in the background rather than actually closing the program. It's not that light on resources either.

Does anyone know how I could get the generic Realtek HD Control Panel back rather than using the ASUS skinned one? I'd much rather use that one if it's possible. Installing the latest drivers from Realtek's website doesn't work and I connected an old Hard Drive I scavanged out of my old desktop (which motherboard had died), and tried running the Realtek HD Control Panel executable file that was on it (my old motherboard used Realtek Audio too, but used the Generic HD Control panel), but that just opens up the Skinned ASUS Control panel it seems. I think there's a Registry entry or something that deciphers which Realtek HD Control Panel is used (Generic, OEM skinned etc.).

Thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
On my Windows 8 system I have the standard Realtek Audio Manager, it's started at boot time (it keeps an icon in the system tray) and the process is thus always active, but when idle it uses no CPU and only 2.9MB of RAM, so I'm content to leave it there. ;)

I don't know how much use you make of this tool, I hardly use it at all, and whilst I agree that the Asus version is a bit....erm...glitzy (is that a word?) I imagine it gets the job done? I'd be a bit cautious trying to hack your system to get the standard one back, I think you potentially risk a lot of grief for what seems like small gain?

Just my humble opinion. :)

Hazbell

On my Windows 8 system I have the standard Realtek Audio Manager, it's started at boot time (it keeps an icon in the system tray) and the process is thus always active, but when idle it uses no CPU and only 2.9MB of RAM, so I'm content to leave it there. ;)

I don't know how much use you make of this tool, I hardly use it at all, and whilst I agree that the Asus version is a bit....erm...glitzy (is that a word?) I imagine it gets the job done? I'd be a bit cautious trying to hack your system to get the standard one back, I think you potentially risk a lot of grief for what seems like small gain?

Just my humble opinion. :)

Mine also started at boot time, but I disabled that because I don't need it. I hardly use it at all too, but when I do, it's a little annoying knowing it's still running and needs to be killed via Task Manager, or working with those Icons at the top.

If it's simply a Registry key that needs changing or something simple like that, it wouldn't be any trouble at all, providing it's done correctly, but if it involved swapping files used via computers that use the Generic Realtek Audio Control Center for example, I wouldn't do it as that is more trouble than it's worth.

I was just curious to know if anyone knew anything about it. It's no problem otherwise, but if a simple method exists to use the generic control panel instead of the ASUS skin that anyone knows about, I would appreciate it. :)