Asus ROG RAIDR PCIe SSD

Yamikotai

Expert
I can't imagine there'll be a reason for them not to sell it, but it's going to be very expensive, in all probability. At least twice the cost compared to a SATA3 SSD of equivalent capacity.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
A few problems this would present for me personally.
- price
- performance worthy of a higher price? Would you see a real world benefit?
- storage space?
-Most importantly for me, its a PCIE card. So Say you have two dual slot gpu's and another PCIE device such as a soundcard/network card/insert device. You will probably not have a spare slot for it (unless you have a massive high end EATX motherboard) I know my motherboard only has two PCIE slots, and one is covered up by a gpu, the other taken by my soundcard.

salg04086

Silver Level Poster
A few problems this would present for me personally.
- price
- performance worthy of a higher price? Would you see a real world benefit?
- storage space?
-Most importantly for me, its a PCIE card. So Say you have two dual slot gpu's and another PCIE device such as a soundcard/network card/insert device. You will probably not have a spare slot for it (unless you have a massive high end EATX motherboard) I know my motherboard only has two PCIE slots, and one is covered up by a gpu, the other taken by my soundcard.

I agree price may be high at launch, Performance will be fast as the reviews show and I do think if your running multiple applications at the same time this will def show in real world benefit. Storage space will currently come in 120gb or 256gb.
I agree this will take an additional PCIE slot on the motherboard but reviewers are saying that the current sata ports are creating a bottleneck at the moment and this is just an additional option

SSD are dropping in price general so I am sure the price for this technology will also drop in price in the near future. I also agree that this is an option for those whom only want/require a single graphics card as you can be limited with PCIE slots.

Regards

salg04086

Yamikotai

Expert
Real-world benefit will show up only if you can make use of ultra-fast storage - say, if you're doing database or heavy video editing work. If you're not doing that, then... I guess loading screens in games would be nearly nonexistent on this thing :p