ASUS VG27AQ Overclocking

Joeyniple

Was wondering about the overclocking on the ASUS vg27aq, does anyone own this monitor and has it at 165hz overclocked? does it reduce the lifespan or anything and is it worth going above 144hz? Would like to go 165hz but wondering if it will "damage" the monitor in the long run since it they say it is overclocking.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Will you notice the slight difference between 144 and 165 to make it worth it anyway?

Also, if its advertised as a 165hz monitor then it has to be designed to run as such?

Joeyniple

There is an option in the monitor itself for overclocking and you can change it past 144hz to 165hz, It's advertised as 165hz but you have to use the overclocking option to enable it as it comes standard with 144hz. Kind of strange that's why im wondering.

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There is an option in the monitor itself for overclocking and you can change it past 144hz to 165hz, It's advertised as 165hz but you have to use the overclocking option to enable it as it comes standard with 144hz. Kind of strange that's why im wondering.
Maybe it goes 165Hz only with DP and 144Hz on HDMI

Joeyniple

Maybe it goes 165Hz only with DP and 144Hz on HDMI
It's an overclock setting in the OSD to take it to 165Hz.

It won't do any damage to the monitor at all.

I doubt you'll notice any difference though.
Yes it only goes up to 165hz with the DP connection. Some games i play on windowed full screen cap to the monitor refresh rate so the 165hz would be better for me. Since it's a factory overclock setting i assume its ok since your not technically overclocking it, and not potentially reducing its lifespan or whatever.