Audio issues (distortion + hiss)

jergil

This is a weird one with lots of interconnected issues so bear with me on this. Have copied my desktop specs at the bottom.

So first of all, my desktop was dropped by the delivery guy when the carboard handle broke. Possibly unrelated but maybe not.

Issue no.1
Everytime the PC started up, it used to do 1 long beep and 2 short beeps (memory issue) or 1 long beep and 3 short beeps (GPU issue). So I reseated the RAM and the GPU. It does it much less now but it still occassionally beeps at me on startup.

Issue no.2
I have a Logitech G Pro headset with a USB dongle. When the PC arrived I plugged my headset in via the jack and not the dongle. The mic didn't work. I tried with the USB dongle and the mic worked. So since then I've just been happily using my headphones with the dongle and seemingly without audio issues. Recently I decided to refurbish my old Philips headphones, modmic them, and use them instead. But the mic doesn't work. And also now I realize that there is background hiss whenever audio is playing and it's muffled and distorted. Audio is perfectly fine through the dongle.

So I try a splitter and plug into the mic input. The mic now works but is incredibly quiet. I originally thought it still didn't work because it was so quiet it didn't move the level meter in the sounds window. To be audible I need to put the mic output on full and then boost +20db. It is distorted and there is A LOT of hiss. I replicate the same issue with the Logitech headset (without dongle) and then again with a pair of Hyper X Clouds. Now it gets weird. If I have the logitech dongle plugged in and then plug a headset in without the splitter (so headphone and inline mic through the jack port) the mic works! It still sounds like crap but it works. Weird huh?

Issue no.3
I recorded some gameplay footage with Nvidia software. I was using the Logitech headset with dongle. When playing, everything sounded great. On playback, the audio is muffled/distorted, especially my friends voice through discord (his voice is perfect through the logitech phones w/ dongle but through the jack port it sounds awful). I try with OBS - same issue. Basically it seems to be recording the audio that's being sent through the jack port (which sounds terrible) and not what's being sent through the dongle (which sounds fine).

Troubleshooting:
I've uninstalled every audio drivers and every sound, video and game controller drivers and installed the latest realtek drivers. I've also uninstalled all the logitech software and drivers and deleted any trace of them I could find in the system32 folder. I've changed the bitrate and sample rate in sounds settings. Changed mic permissions in the privacy settings

Theories:

If it's software, I can't figure out what's causing it. PC is relatively new (late december 2020) with few programs installed.
Motherboard issue? perhaps caused when delivery guy dropped the package? Am using onboard sound. Explains the beeps too.
Interference??

Other things that don't seem right:

The Wi-Fi card barely gets any signal. I get 0 bars on any WiFi network in range. I only get the dot. We have 2 laptops in the house and 2 phones and all of them get full signal in this room and pretty much the whole house. The Wi-Fi is in the room directly below the PC. Supposed to be a decent card too.

The CPU fan is LOUD. And it also sounds weird, kinda metallic. Doesn't sound like a fan should. I only confirmed it was the fan because I tried some fan curves to figure out where the sound was coming from. It sits around 1700rpm as default.

Thanks for reading. Also, halp!

Specs:
Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Wi-Fi card barely gets any signal. I get 0 bars on any WiFi network in range. I only get the dot. We have 2 laptops in the house and 2 phones and all of them get full signal in this room and pretty much the whole house. The Wi-Fi is in the room directly below the PC. Supposed to be a decent card too.
Have you attached the antenna? It won't work without them.

Regarding the audio, the USB dongle is actually a soundcard, so the audio will fully bypass the soundcard on the PC, so everything is determined by the dongle. But it won't work properly without the G Hub driver installed.

When you're plugged in via splitter, then it's acting off your on board soundcard. Can you go into device manager and find the sound drivers and post a screenshot? Just want to be sure the drivers are properly configured and it's not using the Microsoft default by mistake.

jergil

Hi Spyder

Thanks very much for your help.

I had no idea there was an antenna! Derp. I have attached that now and it's working perfectly. Thanks!

Regarding the audio, I've attached the screenshot.

Thanks again

Jeremy

Attachments

• audio drivers.jpg
    audio drivers.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 102

jergil

Oh and I did have G Hub installed and that was all working fine with the dongle. I uninstalled it recently to try to figure out the onboard soundcard issue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh and I did have G Hub installed and that was all working fine with the dongle. I uninstalled it recently to try to figure out the onboard soundcard issue.
Ah, that makes sense then.

Hi Spyder

Thanks very much for your help.

I had no idea there was an antenna! Derp. I have attached that now and it's working perfectly. Thanks!

Regarding the audio, I've attached the screenshot.

Thanks again

Jeremy
So that's definitely setup correctly with the realtek driver.

Just to confirm, which port are you plugging the mic connector into and which port the audio jack?

Just to be doubly sure they're in the right output / input.